The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it is too late to cut my clover plots this weekend. I'm going up state to my property in Susq.Co this weekend. Two weeks ago, the plots looked great after being cut back around the middle of August.

I may not have to cut them but my thoughts are that if I cut it now there may be little or no new growth because "Frost" will be here soon.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'd probably leave it go because now, or very soon, deer tend to key in on clover.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I agree with Dutch. If you just cut it back in August, it shouldn't be that out of control. The deer will be mowing it back for you shortly. Maybe put a round of fertilizer down, 0-10-10, but that would be it...

·
Registered
191 Posts
probably no reason for you to clip them off again. You could set mower high and knock back competing grasses, etc. We are getting dry here, with no rain in the forecast for a few days. That is also a factor.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Joe, I cut ours here (Susqy Co) in early August to knock the competing weeds down. Clover/chickory have been doing great and the deer keep it cropped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts