The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would anyone remove a deer from where they killed it, gut it, put it into a truck and not even remove the appropriate tag from the train of licences let alone fill out any part of the tag? Saw this twice this year!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
My father in law did that one time. Shot a piebald buck, and in his excitement he told me later that he simply forgot to put the tag on the deer. He filled it out but forgot to remove it from his license. He then dragged the deer to the road to wait for me to show up. The game warden was patrolling the logging road and saw him there and asked if that was where the deer dropped. He said no, and was issued him a written warning..He learned his lesson.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well, to be fair, maybe he lost it? Happened to me 2 years ago. Shot a doe on the last Saturday, went for my tag and the back pack was empty. I know it was there when I entered the woods. In a panic, I obtained a replacement license from a vendor and called the PGC. You can only get replacement doe tags from a county treasurer. They were pretty nice about it and just told me to write my CID number, name & address, on a piece of paper and take it to the processor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm so paranoid when I shot a doe the other day I grabbed my ziplock bag containing pens and zip ties. Climbed down walked 80 yards to the deer and went to fill out my tag. Dumb Dumb grabbed everything except his license and tag. Walked 80 yards back to my stand and got my tag then walked back to the deer. Could I have drug the deer to my stand and tagged it? Yep! It is what it is, but I'm gonna try my best to do it right every time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I got my deer this year, the very first thing I did was cut two slits in the ear, fill out the tag, put it in the ear, move the deer 20' to a flat spot and field dressed it.
I then left it there until I could find help to get it out. About 400 yds from the truck..
When I came back 45 minutes later, it was still where I left it.
Even if someone had taken it or told me that I couldn't have it because it was on their land, I wouldn't have done anything about it because I knew it was my deer.
I've had deer that I shot taken off me on my own property before - when I was a kid.
But I won't move it until it is first tagged.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Some people just plain forget in all the excitement. I can think of several turkeys and deer that were halfway to the truck before I remembered to tag them. That said, they all get tug... no bad intentions on my part, I just plain forgot on a few of them.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I've seen guys forget a pen and they drag the deer to the truck and fill it out. Or, if they are close to their cabin, they drag the deer back to the cabin and fill it out there. They never move the deer off of the property without tagging, they just fill out the tag and tag the deer at the truck or cabin. It is never transported anywhere without the tag.

Yes, this is not 100% letter of the law. But I don't think everyone is planning on saving the tag for another deer or some other malicious intent.

Those yellow tags are such a pain to write on in ideal conditions. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen guys forget a pen and they drag the deer to the truck and fill it out. Or, if they are close to their cabin, they drag the deer back to the cabin and fill it out there. They never move the deer off of the property without tagging, they just fill out the tag and tag the deer at the truck or cabin. It is never transported anywhere without the tag.

Yes, this is not 100% letter of the law. But I don't think everyone is planning on saving the tag for another deer or some other malicious intent.

Those yellow tags are such a pain to write on in ideal conditions. :D
This statement is exactly why tagging must be done prior to moving an animal, no exceptions. How can an officer attempt to try to distinguish who has malicious intent and who made a mistake?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I know someone that shot a doe last Friday morning. Upon finding it he walked back to camp, unloaded some gear and layers, grabbed his knife and jumped on the ATV then headed to the deer to field dress it. He forgot to tag it upon initial finding and left his license/tags at camp in his pack that he left there. After it was gutted and taken back to camp it was tagged.

Technically, that was wrong. However, spirit of the law, it was always going to be tagged, was eventually tagged, and no attempt was going to be intentionally made to avoid tagging or to shoot another deer. He also just reported his harvest this afternoon!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The law is in place so the officer does not have to interpret anything, or listen to stories and excuses. If you move it, you are in violation, period. I'm not claiming to be a daisy, I have done it too, but the law is clearly written and really the officer needs offer no warning, that is being nice. I think actually the deer is technically not yours until tagged either.

If I'm gonna be dragging a ways, I always use a hole in both sides of the ear to twist tie the ear shut with the tag tucked inside, twist tie still thru the tag of course. This way it can't snag on anything and you can easily dig it out to read it then tuck it back inside.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
It depends on the conditions and how far the drag is and what I'll be dragging it through whether I put the tag on or not. The tag will be filled out just not maybe attached. If I'm in violation so be it.
Had a tag come off one coming home from WV on year. Warden was at the butcher and asked where the tag was for this one. I said must have blown off.
He didn't ask any more questions. The other 3 were properly tagged so he must have thought I was ok.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
This statement is exactly why tagging must be done prior to moving an animal, no exceptions. How can an officer attempt to try to distinguish who has malicious intent and who made a mistake?
And if I were to be forgetful or lazy, I would know I'm in the wrong and accept the fine. My point is that it's not just people who are trying to pull a fast one that may move a deer before tagging.

We were dragging my buddy's bear out of the woods earlier this year and the tag ripped out of its ear. Luckily, one of us noticed and were able to go back and find it.

Another thing I see all the time is people putting their tag on a buck's antlers instead of the ear. This is also a violation....technically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too, have had tags rip out. That is a whole different situation. To grossly ignore the law by not tagging immediately is my issue. There is just no reason why this should not be done.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Another thing I see all the time is people putting their tag on a buck's antlers instead of the ear. This is also a violation....technically.

I know it is a violation but I still do it. I have lost more than one tag out of the ear. When I shoot a buck, it gets wired to the antler. Definitely a law that should be changed IMO.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts