The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have tried a hole dead mouse down your dirt hole? Last year I bought some fox pee from a trapper since I needed some in a hurry. When I went to his house, he had about a dozen dead mice lined up outside his trapping shed. I never said anything to him about it, however the other day watching a trapper on YouTube he threw one down his dirt hole. Just wondering how many of you have had success doing this.

·
Registered
688 Posts
"a hole dead mouse"

I see what you did there. :LOL:

I've never tried it but I also have a book or two that talk about it. Go for it, what do you have to lose? I don't think you'll have to worry about mice stealing your bait.

• Haha
Reactions: Longbeard12

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've tried it. Can't say it gave anymore success than the lure I used with it. Any mice I catch in my garage I'll save for bait. It's definitely more natural than spiked mouse bait like Hiawatha but it hasn't been a silver bullet either.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think it would work great, but I like a paste type bait. Chunky bait or whole mouse can be snagged more easily and they are gone.
Paste bait makes them work the set more, in my opinion.
Londbeard12, I think I saw that same youtube video the other day.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would work great, but I like a paste type bait. Chunky bait or whole mouse can be snagged more easily and they are gone.
Paste bait makes them work the set more, in my opinion.
Londbeard12, I think I saw that same youtube video the other day.
I have heard some crazy stuff about using mice. Heard from one guy that if you place the mouse that it's pointing back out the hole that stuff will jump in the hole with both feet!! Like there pouncing! Same guy said if you face it going away from you it makes them want to dig immediately! I asked him how he did this since your bait can't be visible by air and he claims to make his dirt holes with the hole horizontal with the ground, then place the mouse just far enough down the hole that only critters from ground can see and no birds from above? I don't want to claim he is full of BS but I don't know how good of a trapper he is either.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Here's another thought to add to what Country Roads said. I don't use a lot of bait in my dirt holes because a couple of the old timers that helped me get started cautioned that using bait increases non-targets. Anyway, I wonder if you used a "hole mouse", would that result in the canine just grabbing it and running off with it as opposed to staying there to work the hole like it would if there was just lure or some paste bait that was stuck in there?

Reactions: Longbeard12

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Most of us don't make hole deep enough. Agree, a whole Mouse would get picked clean of hole.
I would get picked clean with chunk baits & Sheep's wool or lure and Sheep's wool. My hole wasn't deep enough most of the time to start with, causing me problems.
I told Russ Carman of my problems. First off, he said, don't put anything down the hole you don't want them to have. I stopped the Sheep's Wool.
Russ went on, grind your bait fine, that way they can't hook chunky bait with a toenail. I did that.
Those two details solved alot of problem for me.
Still at times I don't dig hole deep enough, but a paste bait clings to sides/bottom.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the subject of mice, when I find a mouse nest in a shed or outbuilding, I save them in a five gallon bucket. Take a handful of it and blend it n with grass clippings at a hay set. The odor from a mouse nest s a good entice at a set.
Good advice BigB. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts