The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a forward mounted scope on their Ithaca 37 Deerslayer? I'm looking to mount one on mine, but can't figure out what rings to use that will mount to the spots near the rear sight. Anybody know which ones work for this? Also, can I get by with a pistol scope for this - mostly wondering if the eye relief is right for this application, or maybe I need to find a scout scope?

Thanks!

JR

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I had a custom mount and rings on my 37.

The guy who made them died a few years ago.

Make sure they (rings/mounts) can take the beating, slugs out of a 37 ain't no joke. I had a long eye relief and hated it, put a regular eye relief scope on it and liked it much better. Just have to slide the scope back as far as it will go and play around with the adjustment on the eyepeice to get a picture you're comy with.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I'm not a fan of receiver mounts for shotguns, prefer barrel mounts.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
No thats Ok, if you have good luck with them use them by all means!

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i intend to....i keep hearing more and more good things about them from others as well! give em a try some time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just trying to get it set up to use the factory designed mounting locations on the rear sight - that way, when I take the barrel off and put the bird barrel back on, it should be close to zero and would take a minimum of sighters to verify zero before hunting with it. Also haven't had a forward mounted scope on a gun before, and want to give it a try - I figure this would be a good try-gun to see if I like the concept.

The biggest problem I'm having is finding out what rings to use to mount it up - there were rings made that worked - I've seen them mounted up... problem is, nobody I have talked to, including a major gun shop and a reputable gunsmith, knows what brand/model of rings fit - that's what I'm hoping to find here.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Thats why I mount mine on the barrel too so when I switch back and forth from the bird barrel to the slug barrel, sighting in isn't so bad.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i think if and when i do get a slug gun i will get a fixed barrel and keep the bird guns seperate...

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I switch the barrels on my Mossberg 500 back and forth all the time. I always take it out and shoot it at least twice just to make sure it's still on. After switching barrels probably 12-15 times I've never had to touch a knob on the scope. It's a good thing as I absolutely hate shooting that thing.

I just shot mine the other day, and it was spot on. I think it's staying on, and I will just hunt with my 20 gauge until after deer season. About the only thing I hunt with a 12 gauge is coyote anyways.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do a Google search for Ithaca gunsmiths...there is a retired Ithaca employee running a gun shop in the Ithaca area. If they don't have the rings, they should be able to get some info.
Most folks around here used a 2x Leupold pistol scope on that set up. i bought a Ithaca set up like 20 years ago, but traded it before I ever shot it.
Will

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i have the rings off my deerslayer for the rear sight mount. i couldnt find a scope with the right eye relief so i didnt put one on it. i will see if i can figure out what brand they are. i would give them to you, but then i know i would want to put the scope on. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be great if you can figure it out. In the mean time, I'll try the Google search to see if I can come up with anything. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i'll tell ya what, if you can't find any online, I will give you mine. I have two other slug guns besides the deerslayer so I can do without a scope on it. I only bought it as a "cabinet queen" anyways.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
here's a crappy phone pic of the rings off mine. I don't know who makes them, but maybe this will help in your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts