The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mounted plenty on air guns and 22's. Now I want to put one on my inline(replace actually, the base and ring bottoms are already on). Do I really need a torqe screw driver? I'm hesitent to put one on something with this kind of recoil. I'm afraid or over/under tightening the rings. Am I over thinking this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
No you do not need a torque driver. And yes you are over thinking this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Simply put a drop of Lock Tite on the screw threads and then tighten but you dont have to crank it beyond snug to do the job. Good luck and safe shooting....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i've mounted scopes on everything from 22's to 450 marlins without torque drivers or lock tite and none have loosened after many shots.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help, any tricks to making sure the gun is perfectly vertical when leveling the cross hairs?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ONLY LOCKTITE THE BASES. Get the bases good and snug, and use BLUE locktite, not RED. If you use red you WILL need heat to get the bases off later. NEVER use Locktite on rings. Don't overtighten the rings, you will damage the scope. Snug plus a little bit extra is enough. Try to level the gun in a cradle of some sorts, and use a string with a weight hanging (like a plumb bob) to line up your X-hairs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get the wheeler level level level its two tools that are basicaly bubble levels one goes on the gun to make it level the second one goes on the scopes elevation turret and just match the bubbles. you will be suprized how much long range accuracy increases

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Snug your mount screws and walk away for a half hour. When you return you will get another easy 3/4 turn or so. Metal fatigues under stress. Plus one on only loktite the bases, if you do so at all. The more evenly you turn the screws, the more close to perfect your alignment will be. When you tighten the ring screws, count your turns. Do the same number of turns on each side, a few at a time. If you do it right, they will all be snug about the same time. Look for obvious gaps in your rings on each side as you go. You do not need anything but a screwdriver and the ability to count. There is really nothing to it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I use Blue LOCKTITE on the bases only,Lapp the scope rings..approximately 15% contact made if not Lapped or 75% if Lapped and the Level-Level-Level and you accuracy will be excellent!! I re-mounted all of my scopes 7-8 years ago and the results were amazing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts