The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 760 30-06 with open sights. I have a Tasco 6x24 sitting in the safe that my 14 yr old son wants to put on
"Papa's" gun. Any suggestions on what type of rings and bases i need? I dont really wanna drop a bunch of cash doing this. Can I get what i need at Gander Mnt?.. Thanks guys! It is already drilled for a scope.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
A good set of Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings will set ya back about $50 or so, Weavers about half of that..

·
Registered
335 Posts
skin-man said:
I have a Remington 760 30-06 with open sights. I have a Tasco 6x24 sitting in the safe that my 14 yr old son wants to put on
"Papa's" gun. Any suggestions on what type of rings and bases i need? I don't really wanna drop a bunch of cash doing this. Can I get what i need at Gander Mnt?.. Thanks guys! It is already drilled for a scope.
My dad would say - do you want to be like me and get your deer every year? Use SEE THRU mounts!
The Weaver models are about $15.00 - at least they were the last time I bought them. The Qwik Site ones might be a couple of dollars more.

Regardless of what most gun writers writes - the natural stance for shooting is to put your rifle up to your shoulder and look through the scope.
When you use low mount scope mounts - you have to squish down your neck to look through the scope with that type of mount - but with SEE THRU mounts - the scope should be right at eye level and all you have to do is look through the scope and shoot.

Those low mounts might be nice for a person that is shooting long range on a bench and wants the Ultra Accuracy - but for Pennsylvania Whitetails - you can't beat the See Thru Mounts.

Dead Deer Don't Lie!

·
Registered
335 Posts
http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/c-77-see-thru.aspx

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...ID=GSHOP_402775

742 and 760 Gamemaster uses the same rings.
Model 6 uses bigger screws and requires you to take the gun to a gunsmith and have the holes drilled and tapped for the larger screws(8-48) - which are stronger in my opinion then the 6-48 screws that the 760 Gamemaster is drilled and tapped for.

Either way - these scope mounts will also allow you to keep and use your open sights - which you are already used to using.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
You have gotten all good suggestions for mounts so far but I have to ask why a 6x24? Unless field hunting I think magnification at even 6 power is going to limit the field of view and quick acquisition in the woods. I'd hate to see your Son handicapped by too much magnification and have it cost him a shot.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Big Elk Hunter said:
My dad would say - do you want to be like me and get your deer every year? Use SEE THRU mounts!
The Weaver models are about $15.00 - at least they were the last time I bought them. The Qwik Site ones might be a couple of dollars more.

Regardless of what most gun writers writes - the natural stance for shooting is to put your rifle up to your shoulder and look through the scope.
When you use low mount scope mounts - you have to squish down your neck to look through the scope with that type of mount - but with SEE THRU mounts - the scope should be right at eye level and all you have to do is look through the scope and shoot.
Worst post I've ever read on HPA, with much misinformation...A scope mount where the scope is mounted low to the receiver enables you to rest your cheek solidly on the stock where it belongs to make you as steady as possible..The see-through mounts force you to stretch your neck up to the point where your chin is actually on top of the stock, a very un-steady proposition at best...That's why they don't make scope mounts with 2" high bases.

As for the see-through tunnel where you have to attempt to line up your sights...The first time you get on a running deer and you try to look through that tunnel and line up your sights on it, the deer will be long gone and you will rip those see-through mounts off of your rifle with a claw hammer....About the only good purpose these mounts serve is to make a suitcase handle out of your scope lol!

·
Registered
485 Posts
imho; height of rings depends on too many factors to make a recommendation on-line. diameter of objective bell, how long your shoulder to eye and cheek to eye must also be considered. how you cheek the rifle and stock shape must be put into the mix. hard to do at home alone. i charge $25 for a basic setup, $10 for boresight. a premium mounting is $ 60. in this i hand lap the rings, and mechanically level the rifle to crosshairs. over that are plus features such as making ring height correct, recentering the crosshair adjustments, shimming bases to optical center is at point of aim for your zero. can be very pricey. see thru bases are trash. usually too high, flimsy, seldom line up with bore causing use of alot of internal windage adjustment with net result of not using the sweet spot of lenses. the biggest differences between low end and high end scopes are the size of the sweet spot in the lense, the accuracy of adjustments and the lense coatings for both scratch resistence and light transmission. iknow, tmi. bottom line is find a "pro" that knows what is needed, work with them, and be willing to pay. it will be worth every penny/.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the good info guys. I think i will look into a set of weaver bases and rings. The reason for the 6x24 is that i took it off my .243 and it is sitting in the gun cabinet not being used and I really dont wanna shell out the cash for another scope right now. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Also not a fan of see through scope mounts. They cause you to raise your cheek off the rifle making sighting awkward and less stable. I also agree that 6x24 scope isn't a good choice for the average deer hunter.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Big Ken said:
Big Elk Hunter said:

Worst post I've ever read on HPA, with much misinformation...A scope mount where the scope is mounted low to the receiver enables you to rest your cheek solidly on the stock where it belongs to make you as steady as possible..The see-through mounts force you to stretch your neck up to the point where your chin is actually on top of the stock, a very un-steady proposition at best...That's why they don't make scope mounts with 2" high bases.

As for the see-through tunnel where you have to attempt to line up your sights...The first time you get on a running deer and you try to look through that tunnel and line up your sights on it, the deer will be long gone and you will rip those see-through mounts off of your rifle with a claw hammer....About the only good purpose these mounts serve is to make a suitcase handle out of your scope lol!

You couldn't have said it any better big Ken. The only thing see through mounts do is ruin shooting form and consistency. They are junk. not comfortable either. If your eye lines up with the scope naturally then you must have an oversize head. i would knock that thing off with a 20 pound sledge if i was you elk hunter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts