The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend up at the cabin in potter, I went inside after an almost 3 month absence and I could tell a squirrel had gotten into the place, shredded papertowels, knocked over salt and peper shakers. I looked around the cabin and in one of the trash cans was a dead flying squirrel, could I have gotten this mounted? if so what kind of permits would be required?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Are they an endangered species just for PA? If he didn't actually kill it and just found it dead I don't see why he couldn't get it mounted. Maybe he could take it outside of the state and get it mounted in another state - would it be legal then?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Why does someone always have to try to get around the law? JD3....he said the squirrel was found in Potter county. Flying squirrels are protected in PA. Possessing it and then taking it across state lines makes it a Lacy Act violation. Is a flying squirrel really worth a $10,000 fine???
For what it's worth there are states where flying squirrels are legal to possess. You can get one there and bring it to PA to be mounted but not vice versa.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
there are two types of flying squirrels in PA I think, one is endangered, the northern flying squirrel...I think there are 12 known sites in old growth forests in PA where these are. The Southern outnumbers grey squirrels, and actually carries a parasite that is killing the northerns I heard. 99% chance the flying squirrels anyone in PA is seeing are southerns...not endangered. I dont know nothing bout mounting one, they seem kinda small to grab their hips. Willy

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Frank, the southern subspecies may not be endangered but in PA they are protected--as are chipmunks. As such, they cannot be mounted. Not sure if you could find a PGC Regional Office to issue a permit for one either---although it used to be an easy process as I've mounted lots of them in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts