The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I heard that there used to be wolves in PA, is this true? If so I dont see why there still would not be any around, nobody gets them all.

I also heard from a buddy that he saw a mountain lion crossing the road near Ford City around the back roads. I believe they are here. I have heard from several people that they are here actually.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
IGetThemAll said:
Ok, so I heard that there used to be wolves in PA, is this true? If so I dont see why there still would not be any around, nobody gets them all.

I also heard from a buddy that he saw a mountain lion crossing the road near Ford City around the back roads. I believe they are here. I have heard from several people that they are here actually.
I see nothing wrong with your logic. Go get 'em kid!!

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
ED C. said:
YEP!

To answer your original question, yes, wolves did exist here in PA. the debate seems to be whether they were red wolves (southern wolves) or timber wolves. If you can get a copy of the January 1970 issue of PA Game News, they have a great story on the history of wolves in PA by Wilbert Nathan Savage. I believe the last wolf killed in PA was around 1902. The timber wolf population is exploding in the upper mid-west now but I don't believe they will make into PA because they need a lot of deer to survive on and we don't have that many...........

As for your mountain lion story, if you can produce evidence like ED C did, we'll believe it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Anything the fed does would not suprise us now would it?

Not saying they are here but, when or if they show up here it will be under a federal plan we are not privy to. IMO

Sure a few may migrate here from time to time but, the fed plan would be to start a population.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I heard from a friend of a friend that big foot was seen releasing Mt lions around the state from green crates with 3 letters on them.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
<span style="color: #000000">All joking aside, there a lot of animals that once inhabited PA that are sporadic or we no longer see. Habitat invasion/destruction, chemicals and changes in the environment play a big part. Just think what PA was like 150 years ago.

The last known native mountain lion in Pennsylvania was killed in the 1870s, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

EC</span>

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I read an account of the area where I live in northern Chester County that said this region was overrun by wolves and that hunters from Philadelphia would be hired to come here and kill them so that the setlers could feel safe. If I recall correctly this was well in advance of the Revolutionary War.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes there used to be both and they got killed out.There also used to be woodlands bison,caribou and moose but they migrated around,they too got killed off around here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
'cat, when I use to date a girl that lived up near you...... We traveled thru shunk often. I agree with you 100% "roll up the windows, lock the doors and look straight ahead, dear" lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts