The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I did the "Curse of Dark Hollow Mountian Bike Race" at Michuax State Forest last weekend. It was my first race and my goal was to just finish in one piece. My reason for doing the race at the age of 34 was I wanted to challenge myself. I decided to wear the helmet cam to see what for good video I could get, I didn't get any wrecks happening but you can see plenty of why the race is called the "curse" throughout the video. I finished 34th overall out of 52 finishers and 13th out of 20 in the 18-34 age class. The 11 mile race took me 2 hours and 8 minutes to complete and was very challenging. Considering I had only spent 2 hours on the mountian bike before the race I was pleased with my results, it seemed all of the miles I have been logging road biking didn't seem to help out off road too much, as the last mile was brutal. I'm going to mix up the riding from here on out, as I'm already planning to do the race they hold in September and want to improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw36F1GExao

·
Registered
799 Posts
That looks like the Michuax I know. Congrats again on finishing. Keep at it, I know you will improve.

Great video too.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
LOL, I live off the northern end of Michaux and ride it a couple times a week right now. Dark Hollow single track can take a toll on you, never mind the 100 degree heat last Sunday as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
the longer i watched the more i laughed at all the racers fixing tires. good job mike!!! way more ambition than i have. LOL

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I got tired just watching that vid. GREAT JOB Mike.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Just got back from a 50 mile road bike ride with the wife, felt good to relax in the pool afterwards, then out laying on the beach soaking up the sun. Vacation is great!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most excellent, lol. I watched the whole video, that was great. Congrats on staying on the bike through that gnarly stuff. Curse of the Dark Hollow.........what a great name. Were most of those guys repairing pinched tires? Were they just taking it too fast, or do you think they were over-inflated? You get any flats? Congrats again, just to stay on the bike in non-race condition in there is a challenge. What kind of helmet cam set-up did you have?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'd say most of those guys had flats from being underinflated. No I didn't get any flats, but I can't say that I wasn't worried about getting a flat after a few impacts I had with some of those rocks. I'm using a GoPro Helmet Hero camera.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts