The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2006, my step dad shot a nice eleven point and got it mounted. The horns are angled in instead of the points going straight up and the main beam tips are 2-3 inchesw closer than the picture depicts. the spread isn't what it shoud be after shrinkage. He paid less than $300 for it. (I know, you get what you pay for). Can anything be done to correct this and what is an estimate to get it fixed. If you need pictures to get a better idea of what I am talking about, email me as I do not check this everyday. we are actively searching for a quality taxidermist to help so your help is valued. Thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Basically, someone will need to remove the horns and redo the mount entirely with a new deer hide.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Deer Hunter said:
Basically, someone will need to remove the horns and redo the mount entirely with a new deer hide.
Sad, but true.

Good luck

·
Registered
999 Posts
It will cost the price of a new mount plus a new cape for the deer.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Lucky seven,

I am in the same situation. A trusted Taxidermist for years ran into financial problems and unfortunatly it is reflected in a mount that I had him do. I have already researched this and plan on getting a new cape. Your taxidermist can find them or just wait and if you harvest a lesser buck you could use the cape from it.....

I am most upset because the original cape has a double bib on it and I am sure that I will not be able to replicate it.

Timber

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Re: Mount looks nothing like pictures. Can it be f

Timber,

go to taxidermy.net You will have no problem finding a cape with a double throat patch. May take a week or so before one comes up for sale, but they are not as uncommon as some would believe.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Lucky Seven said:
In 2006, my step dad shot a nice eleven point and got it mounted. The horns are angled in instead of the points going straight up and the main beam tips are 2-3 inchesw closer than the picture depicts. the spread isn't what it shoud be after shrinkage. He paid less than $300 for it. (I know, you get what you pay for). Can anything be done to correct this and what is an estimate to get it fixed. If you need pictures to get a better idea of what I am talking about, email me as I do not check this everyday. we are actively searching for a quality taxidermist to help so your help is valued. Thanks [email protected]
The problem the OP is talking about is not going to be solved with a new cape. When the original taxidermist cut the antlers off he hung them on a pipe or board. The weight of the beams pulled the spread in as it dried---it basically caved the antlers in on themselves. There is NO fixing that.
Taxidermists should know that skulls are very pliable and soft when fresh. As such, after they are removed from the head they should be stored flat on the floor until dried and then hung up by one beam only. That is the only way to prevent what happened here.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

Paul C said:
Lucky Seven said:
The problem the OP is talking about is not going to be solved with a new cape. When the original taxidermist cut the antlers off he hung them on a pipe or board. The weight of the beams pulled the spread in as it dried---it basically caved the antlers in on themselves. There is NO fixing that.
Taxidermists should know that skulls are very pliable and soft when fresh. As such, after they are removed from the head they should be stored flat on the floor until dried and then hung up by one beam only. That is the only way to prevent what happened here.

Couldn't he just cut the skull plate and use the pics for reference? I know it won't be 100% exact but it has to be better than what he has?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Beck TRT,

Thx I will watch and see if I can find one.

Thank you

timber

·
Registered
81 Posts

I agree with Paul. Unless you want to cut the skull plate and repair, you are stuck. Thats a good reason why I lay all my antlers on the floor until they dry.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Lucky Seven said:
I am a little confused here. I do not understand how the deer's horns could shrink 2-3 inches in spread from mounting it .I mean you do not cut the horns off the skull plate. so howw would it shrink

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When the antlers are cut off the head they are removed with a section of the skull. The skull that separates the antlers is very pliable when first removed. A surprising number of taxidermists will hang those freshly removed antlers over a pipe or 2 X 4 to dry. Because the skull is soft and the suture lines are still very weak the weight of the antler beams themselves will pull the spread together. Often as much as 2 or 3 inches.
Antlers should be stored laying flat until the skull dries and then hung up and stored by one beam ONLY.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts

Paul C said:
The weight of the beams pulled the spread in as it dried---it basically caved the antlers in on themselves. There is NO fixing that.
I know, from experience, that a Taxidermist can mount a deer that the antlers came off from dragging, etc. Couldnt the same method be used in this case? Cut the antlers from the skull and mount seperately?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

To do what you're talking about John, the taxidermist would need to actually split the skull and realign the antlers. It can be done but its very tricky and the antlers will be fragile. (and it can't be scored for P&Y and B&C). That's actually the ONLY way it will be "fixed" but, sadly, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts

A while back someone on here posted about the same problem of the antlers looking less wide than in their pics, and a taxidermist on here offered to open the seams up and see what was going on inside and it turned out the skull plate had split and the original taxidermist did a very poor job, and this was why the antler spread was shorter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts