The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle and I are considering buying a moultrie solar panel for the wildview cameras we have. I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with one before we decide whether or not to purchase one. The only downfall of the wildview camera's is the less than great battery life (four C cells last about a week...), so a solar panel would definitely solve that issue!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Solar panels will work. Just make sure it has a diode built in. This allows the current to flow to the battery only. With out this, the current flows back at night. A solar panel has to be out in the open facing the sun. Solar panels do not work if there is no sun. In my area there has been days and days of cloud cover, so the solar panel would be useless. Several farmers use solar panels to charge batteries for powering electric fences or watering bowls. They have had their share of problems as well.
I had my share of the WildView EZ Cam which were the early version. I found these took excellent pictures, but were very hard on batteries. I went to the external power port, coupling up to a 300 series Energizer battery which would power a golf cart, snowmobile or ride on lawn tractor. If going that route do not let the battery drop below 5.5 volt for a 12 volt battery. I put a piece of 3/8 plywood under the battery, so the battery wouldn't freeze to the ground. The centre of the plug that goes into the 12 volt external port is positive and that wire has either a white or grey line or dotted line and would couple to the positive post of the battery. Reversing the wire connections will damage the external port of the camera. The camera will still work using internal batteries. The plug I mention can be perchased at an electronics shop or if you have a transformer from an attari etc. Just cut off the transformer, only after making sure you have the proper barrel type plug.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The newer WildView cameras aren't as hard on the batteries as the older ones, but the one i've got is 8 years old and eats batteries!! They've got a 12 volt battery kit for them as well, we would just have to hide the battery so no one took it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
bpshorty_9 said:
The newer WildView cameras aren't as hard on the batteries as the older ones, but the one i've got is 8 years old and eats batteries!! They've got a 12 volt battery kit for them as well, we would just have to hide the battery so no one took it.
Glad to hear WildView helped with the battery problem. Thanks for the update.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts