The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Harley. Older model is in great shape. It has been 40 years since I rode and I need to get an MC learners permit again. Also figured I would take the safety course. Seems PA ceased all safety courses and even terminated DOT's relationship with the company that gave the courses. There are NO courses scheduled anytime in the foreseeable future. Looked into the Harley rider's school. Closest one is in Baltimore in October and costs over $300. (Pa's class was free) I found a school down in Maryland but $500 seems really steep and the reviews were not that good. I checked with the Motorcycle safety foundation and they have no classes in PA and the ones in Maryland are booked to Fall. There is one in Dover Delaware in late July. Any suggestions for such classes near central PA?

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
I was given a Harley. Older model is in great shape. It has been 40 years since I rode and I need to get an MC learners permit again. Also figured I would take the safety course. Seems PA ceased all safety courses and even terminated DOT's relationship with the company that gave the courses. There are NO courses scheduled anytime in the foreseeable future. Looked into the Harley rider's school. Closest one is in Baltimore in October and costs over $300. (Pa's class was free) I found a school down in Maryland but $500 seems really steep and the reviews were not that good. I checked with the Motorcycle safety foundation and they have no classes in PA and the ones in Maryland are booked to Fall. There is one in Dover Delaware in late July. Any suggestions for such classes near central PA?
Dubois Harley Davidson usually hosts a few every year.Not sure with the Kung-Flue though.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

Are you certain that you no longer have an M class designation? Once you have it, it does not expire, if you ever had it in Pa. you should still have it.

As for taking a class, that's a good idea, but you'll find that once back in the saddle, you'll quickly remember basic riding skills.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Zim,
Wish I could help you out but, like you said, I see all the dealerships cancelled their riding programs.
What year and model is the bike? I have an old Shovelhead that I keep in tip top shape. Wouldn't mind taking a cruise down to the Lancaster area.

Check with the DOT.....you may still have your endorsement, if you did have it at one time.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I taught The MSF for 12 years but gave it up about 10 years ago and it is a great idea to take a course. If I recall 90% of motorcycle riders involved in accidents were self taught.

I would tell me students or encourage them to take the course every year for a good spring tuneup because most riders may not have been on the bike for over 6 months. Then I would suggest they take the advanced class where you use your own motorcycle to go the course.

Barbs harley in Camden County NJ use to run classes and I knew guys that use to teach there and for the MSF.

I gave up riding because I realized the older you get your reflexes slow down.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Yes that is VERY STRANGE indeed! and I have no "simple" suggestions to improve skills. Just ride, be alert and aware of riding situation at ALL times (situational awareness), constantly think of the wrong things a caged driver might do and proactively prepare to handle that situation even though 99.999% of the time it won't happen. Nothing makes you a more defensive rider/driver than bike riding. Remember where the eyes go so does the bike, in an emergency situation NEVER look where you don't want the bike to go, NEVER EVER!!! like a car grill, guide rails, etc, ALWAYS! look where you want the bike to go. Head and eyes lead the bike.
Long time and long distance rider, 49 states (no Hawaii), 12 of 13 provinces (no Nunavut), Baja in Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he has it, it will be on his license. It will be on the front, under Class it will show an M, and on the back an M and the definition Motor Driven Cycle.
It is not on the current license. BUT, I moved to Virginia (1977) after getting my motorcycle license and Virginia did not carry it over to the Virginia license. When I moved back to PA, they just gave me the same class I had in Virginia. I will look into that.Don't know if I can get it back.

Thanks to all who responded so far.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If he has it, it will be on his license. It will be on the front, under Class it will show an M, and on the back an M and the definition Motor Driven Cycle.
I have not rode on road in decades, but still keep my class M . It's like $5.00 extra each renewal to keep it. If you drop it and in the future decide to renew, I always thought you had to retest. Maybe this isn't the case???

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well ordered a full life time driver's record and PA has nothing before 1998 when I moved back from VA. Called and they have nothing before that. Guess I will go through getting license.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Well ordered a full life time driver's record and PA has nothing before 1998 when I moved back from VA. Called and they have nothing before that. Guess I will go through getting license.

Makes sense since you dropped it, bummer though, you'll just have to get a permit and take the test.

As I said before though, if you were a good rider back in the day, it will pretty much come right back to you. Is the bike a big touring dresser or a cruiser? If it's a cruiser, it'll be easy. Big touring bikes can be a little more tough, especially if you're not a tall man. I'm starting to have a little trouble with my big bike, not riding it but backing it up, it goes a tick under 1000 lbs. and I have a 27" inseam.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one given to me is a 2003 hundredth anniversary edition Road King. My daughter has a Suzuki MC. I have no idea what size maybe a 500cc. It seems harder to balance than the Harley Guess the center of gravity on the harley is lower. The Bikes I rode back when, started with a Honda cub (3sp auto clutch), then a Harley Rapido (125) and then a Moto Guzzi shaft drive The Guzzi sat much higher than most. 32 in inseams and trouble touching the street with a flat foot.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
The one given to me is a 2003 hundredth anniversary edition Road King. My daughter has a Suzuki MC. I have no idea what size maybe a 500cc. It seems harder to balance than the Harley Guess the center of gravity on the harley is lower. The Bikes I rode back when, started with a Honda cub (3sp auto clutch), then a Harley Rapido (125) and then a Moto Guzzi shaft drive The Guzzi sat much higher than most. 32 in inseams and trouble touching the street with a flat foot.

The Road King is on the touring chassis, and while a bit lighter than full a blown dresser, it's no lightweight and will go about 800 lbs wet. If you need it, you can still buy a "reach seat" for that bike which will move you slightly forward and a little lower. If you have a 32" inseam, I really don't think you'd need one.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/reach-seat/p/52609-05

·
Registered
575 Posts
Look into getting it back but the PA classes are great and free. I understand not offering them now but im sure they will have them again in the future. They are how i got my M license even though I had years of experience being the A hole riding without a license for approx 10 years. I did learn things in the class i didnt know and would take it again if i had the chance.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I remember teaching some advanced rider course and some riders crashed their MC because they were using the front brake in a curve. I also witnessed
members from the Pagans and on occasions Warlocks crashing their MC .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts