The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Suzuki DRZ 400. The problem is that the headlight doesn't come on right away when I start it. Sometimes, I have to ride for miles before it comes on. Other times, it comes right on after the start. If I turn the key to the "on" position, it will light up, but when I hit the starter, it (often) goes off...sometimes for just a few seconds, sometimes a couple minutes and sometimes it stays off for the entire ride. Once it comes on, it stays on for the duration of the time the bike is running (suggesting that it is not a loose wire or bad ground). All other electrical stuff works properly, the fuse is good, and I cleaned the socket for the headlight. I checked the bulb and it is good too. When the headlight isn't working, the high beam indicator light also does not come on, but I will get that indicator to come on when the headlight is lit.

Any ideas? It is a real adventure riding to work with the headlight out as I leave at 5 AM.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I had a bad plug on my passenger headlight on my 2011 GMC pickup . It did the exact same thing you described . Dielectric grease solved my problem .

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning towards the starter switch, since the light goes out when you hit it, then comes back on (sometimes) once it's running. That's where I'll start, but I'm still down for suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts