The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my 9.9 evinrude on monday for the first time...ran like a charm. Last nite went to start it and it fired right up, ran for 20 seconds then stopped. Went to restart, pulled, and the rope would not catch and now it just hangs out. Anyone have an idea as to why this happened? Thanks fellas...

·
Registered
614 Posts
What to check? If it has fuel and spark it should run.

Broken fuel line
Fuel line became disconnected
Check for spark at spark plugs
Tank may have a fuel filter in the tank could be dirty
Should be a fuel filter somewhere check for dirty filter
loose broken or corroded wiring somewhere.

Probably lots of other stuff I missed,but this is a place to start.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took it to a marine shop....guy thinks it may be a spring. Like I said..it ran great first time out....but the pull cord wont retake, it was hanging full out when i took it to the shop...

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Most likely similar to lawnmower cord. The spring can break or strip from plastic. It takes a shop 20-30 minutes to replace. Doing yourself can be an adventure. Especially if spring uncoils

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deer archer....thanks...problem is i took it to Labar's in Dallas...guy tells me it could be a coupla weeks before he gets to it!...Jeez

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's not that hard to replace. 2 or 3 bolts bolts and replace spring. If it happens again while out on the water carry a peice of rope about 3 foot long. There is a spot on top of the fly wheel where you can wrap the rope around and pull it to get it started. Just tie a large knot in the rope on one end first than slide it in the groove and tug. MAke sure no one is right b ehind you or they will get smacked when the rope comes off the fly wheel.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
The rope would start it. I had a 175 hp evenrude and they gave you a pull rope in a little plastic pouch on the inside engine cover. I always figured it was to hang yourself with or take your mind off the fact you were going to die of thirst while you waited for someone to find you.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Sounds like 2 problems. First, a bad spring in the recoil starter. Second, probably a clogged carburetor jet (but could be a lot of other things). If you ran it with old fuel, this is even more likely in my opinion.

Good luck. It shouldn't be too big of a deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts