The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 12' that i power with a small trolling motor and the motor runs on a 12v battery. the battery i got at walmart it is a motorcycle/ jetski battery so im guessing it is legal to use on the water am i right? i know its not a marine battery but from what i read marine batteries are just deeper cells for long run time since there is not an alternator re charging the battery.

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
Its not a matter of legality with the small battery as it is a matter of power. The marine batteries have a cold crank rating(CCA) that is amps available to crank a engine but they also have a reserve capacity rating that is basically how long they will continuously run without being charged. Since you never want to run a battery below 50% of its rating a jet-ski/motorcycle battery will not allow much run time for a trolling motor.
I know in a 12' boat space is an issue but unless your staying on small lakes I would try and find space for a deep cell battery.
Good Luck Happy

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not worried bout it dying my boat has two oars and im used to paddling my kayaks and before i got the battery i paddle the boat. i just was wondering if its legal? i cant find where it says if it is or isnt due to the acid in batteries and the hazmat side of things. just dont want to get fined.

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
I have a seadoo jetski and my boat runs 2-200 hp outboards with 4 battery's to start boat, run spreader lights and navionics and they all are wet batterys. Never knew using electrolyte filled battery's were an issue. Think the EPA would be more upset with the lead plates in the water than the acid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts