The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was traveling some back rounds in northern Wayne County today and came across this old dozer. It obviously has been there for quite some time. I bet you can't even see this after leaf-out.

·
Premium Member
24,212 Posts
Cool pic

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
amazing when you think how expensive they are new, and to think someone just left it behind.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Probably used in a bank robery as a get away vehicle and dumped in the woods. Are there signs of any old construction in the area on which it would have been used?

·
Administrator
30,872 Posts
Stonewall said:
Look above the blade at the winchlike arrangement. That's how dozer blades were raised and lowered before modern hydraulics. They were known as cable blade machines, and havent been in widespread use for many many decades.

(By the way, so far that's the most authentic picture of a big cat in the Pennsylvania woods that has been posted on HPa.)

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
That is a cool pic...
Do you think with the of cost of steel it would be worth cutting up and selling? Just curious... I know a lot of variables go into it but I am just wondering.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thats an old "cable 8". First Dozer I ever ran. It wasn't fun when I "two blocked" it and snapped the cable. Took a while and some muscle to repair. Not to mention embarrassing.
Henkels & McCoy still uses them for pulling sleds on gas pipeline construction. Started with a crank start gasoline pony motor. Best way to start a diesel. Oil pressure was up before you close the decompression valve to start the bigger diesel engine.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
thats a old boy. occasionally run into old equipment in the woods, but I've never seen a whole dozer. Must have broken down with a serious problem, and if it was old enough, maybe parts were to hard to come by. Price of scrap is up, so it may be worth dragging out if its reasonalbly accessible. Its also been known to happen that some equipment has been reported stolen for the insurance.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Neat pic. Keeps us all humble and makes my heart feel warm that no matter what we do mother nature will survive long after we destroy ourselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts