The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new .223 single shot pistol with a .223 14" barrel. Its a Competitor breech load. I wanted a single barrel that would be enough for deer and varmits. I have all kinds of .308, 44,.223 ammo and did not want to add another calibe to the mix. Whicjh would be a good choice? The .223 is not eough power for deer hunting?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I"m assuming you are referring to the Encore, if I were limited to one barrel it would be the 357 max. The max for deer and the 357 mag and 38spl. for small game.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
No he is not referring to the Encore. He said he has the Contender, which cannot handle the kind of high pressure loads the Encore can. For deer, and varmintsin the Encore, I would go with a .243 barrel. I have taken chucks with 65 gr. Handloads at around 300 yards and a couple deer out to around 125 yards with 100 grain handloads. In the Contender, since you are limited to lower pressure rounds, you are going to be kind of stuck picking up more than one barrel. If you have the .223, then why not just pick up a bigger bore thumper for big game like at least the .44 mag or a 30-30 Win. or something similar?...

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
I'll second the 357 MAX, not so much as a versatile cartridge but as a versatile chambering. It can shoot 357 Max, 357 Mag and 38 Spec.

We read alot in the gun rags about loading up "hot" loads, but seldom about loading "cool" loads for other purposes. Larger capacity cases can almost always be loaded down.

I have a 44-40 rifle. Kind of weak anyway, but to use up some old slow burning large rifle case powder we loaded 44-40's with 4198. Even less power, but extremely pleasant for plinking and target shooting. Daughter's groups shrank because she was no longer concerned with recoil.

Now current PA law limits small game hunting to 23 cal and under, so any cartridge over that has no versatility for small game.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Competitor is not a TC product, it is made by a different company called , you guessed it Competitor, It"s a XP looking rear grip single shot, with multiple barrels, never seen one, they look cool, 44 mag is another choice, you can load it hot and down to easy plinking loads.I like that 30/30 MJY.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
racksmasher said:
I"m assuming you are referring to the Encore, if I were limited to one barrel it would be the 357 max. The max for deer and the 357 mag and 38spl. for small game.
I have mine on the contender frame.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i feel that the 460 magnum would be a cool encore type pistol round. 45long colt, 454 casull, plus the 460 mag. colt/light to medium, casull/ medium to heavy, 460/ heavy to "stop a grizzly.".

·
Banned
653 Posts
OK were all done with that now.....the .223 centerfire is more than enough to take med game were legal....most states require deer rounds to be a centerfire........I think most people would agree that more deer have been taken with a 22lr than anyother cal....the main thing is shot placement. So if you are more at ease shooting the .223....I would go for it.....plenty of med game loads avalible for it....its just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
And from a PISTOL, you'd be wrong. You must be former military. I see so many gun ho ex mil that think the .223 is the end all, be all cartrige because their drill instructor told them so. I am a vet too and a combat vet as well, but there is no way I'm going after a deer with my .223 Encore. Sorry, but there is no way you can reliably take a large deer-sized animal (say 250 pounds on the hoof) with a .223 and expect it to do the job every time, shot placement or not. Yes, they make some pretty heavy bullets for the .223, but when you're pushing them out of a 15" pipe, you MIGHT get enough usable energy to get good penetration AND expansion to around 100 yards MAX. Why take the chance with such a light caliber in a pistol when something like the .44 Mag or a larger rifle caliber will do a MUCH BETTER job at the same range the .223 would be even close to effective and much further out where the .223 becomes just a wounder, not a killer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts