The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I own a Remington Model 6 pump in 30.06. ,I bought in 1984, used it 2 seasons killed a buck and didn`t like it as much as I thought I would. So I went out and bought a Winchester Model. 70 Lightweight 30.06 bolt and it`s been very good to me when called upon, whenever I didn`t get a buck in Archery season.
As it turned out they discontinued the 6 in 1989 I believe, which was just a 760 dressed up with a Monte Carlo stock and a nice wood finish and such. I still have the gun, and now it just takes up space in my gun safe....

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Model Sixes are nice. They're actually a deluxe 7600 not a 760. Interestingly they predate the 7600 by a year or two
Ok, thanks , I thought it was the 760, they are about the same I guess...

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wouldn't a 7600 in 7mm-08 be awesome? Maybe new Remington will make one! Like I said earlier, the 760/7600 has to be near the top, I also knew a ton of guys with Ruger M77 rifles which are also great.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Wouldn't a 7600 in 7mm-08 be awesome? Maybe new Remington will make one! Like I said earlier, the 760/7600 has to be near the top, I also knew a ton of guys with Ruger M77 rifles which are also great.
I had a chance to buy a 7600 in 7mm-08 at an auction some years ago, back when that caliber was first introduced. Knowing nothing about the caliber, I passed. Still wished I'd bought it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I think of classic Pennsylvania deer rifles I would say the Remington pump in 30-06 or 35 Remington or the Marlin 336 in 30-30 or 35 Remington.

Today I think the majority of hunters are using bolt actions in short action calibers. Most of my hunting buddies are using bolt actions in .308, 7mm-08, .243, etc.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Dad has an old Springfield bolt action with custom , glass lined stock chambered in 30-06 that he bought from a guy from York and only used it once .

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
Lest we forget, distributors like Grice's, have been ordering lots of non-catalog Remingtons for years, both pumps and M700s. Several years ago they had M7600s in 35 Whelen, for example. Long before that they stocked M700ADL synthetics in at least a half dozen non-catalog cartridges.

About 25 years ago Ackley's had dozens of them in their racks that were never in the Remington catalog.

25-06, 260 Rem., 257 Roberts, just off the top of my head? Also found a Rem. pump in the used racls there years ago, in 25-06. Probably a M6, if that's the variant that had the cartridge head embedded in the bottom of the receiver?

Had some fun with a guy at our club who wanted an ADL synthetic in 260. He bought a used one in 308, had a 260 barrel installed on it, but the barrel was blued, not the matte finish like the ADL synthetics. After I'd found what he wanted at Ackley's, told him I could get him one in 260 with matching metal finish, if he wanted one. Got him riled, called me a liar because "there was no such thing". Then a buddy of his saw one at Grices's and backed me up.

:p

·
Banned
769 Posts
I use a crossbow, was not trying to stir the pot. Just read an article last night and the number of deer harvested during the Pa. archery season
is rising each year at an astounding rate.
Seems like pot stirring. The questioned asked was most popular rifle, not most popular weapon for deer hunting. Try starting a thread about crossbow kills rising at astounding rates.

·
Banned
769 Posts
The Remington 760 in .30-06 seems popular, follower by the lever acton .30-30.

Soooo.....a gun with a removeable 5-round magazine (and larger ones can be had or fashioned) that is capable of relatively rapid fire by sliding a pump mechanism is the "most popular" PA rifle, but in this Stone Age state the AR-10 is not legal?

Someone needs to provide a rationale for that, including data to support it, other that the general shape of the gun sorta looks like an M-16 that is used in the military.

As for hunting, betcha a dollar that someone proficient with their .308 AR-10 is more accurate on a fast follow-up second shot than someone equally proficient with their 760 .30-06. That semi will eat some of the recoil cycling the bolt while the 760 shooter takes it all.

Should not need more than one, right?

In that light, if my AR-10 is unsafe or unethical, so is your 760.
Well first off people who use pumps or don’t want semis for deer don’t need to provide any data or rational. The people who want semis need to provide the rational and data to support why they should be legal. I don’t understand it if semis are legal in so many other states why not go their and hunt and drop it here because the PGC seems to have dropped the idea. Personally I have no say in the matter just like everyone else on here.

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
Since the OP chose "Most popular rifle in PA", then that isn't really limited to just deer rifles, as this thread has developed.

I'd opine that THE most popular rifle in PA, is probably the AR 15, since that has become the most popular rifle platform in the entire nation over the past few decades and I doubt it's any different here in PA?

People are still buying their first AR, including two guys I know, that just a few years ago were fussing about why anyone would want an AR 15. One was a surprise to me, since the old goat prides himself on expensive rifles and looks down his nose at anyone who buys "such junk" as Savages. Didn't settle for a run of the mill AR. His cost him well over a thousand dollars.

The other one wasn't as much of a surprise, as it's the BIL that hunts with me. He has opinions on everything. Once ridiculed me for having a 380, now he has one. Of course it's a better one than the KelTec I've had for years. He bought a far more expensive one. And he now has his own AR 15 that I think ran him around $600?

No ammo for it, until I sold him some of mine. Same for some 380 ammo. Now he's happy.

:)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Since the OP chose "Most popular rifle in PA", then that isn't really limited to just deer rifles, as this thread has developed.

I'd opine that THE most popular rifle in PA, is probably the AR 15, since that has become the most popular rifle platform in the entire nation over the past few decades and I doubt it's any different here in PA?
I wasn't thinking along these lines, because I was thinking about hunting rifles. But, yeah, I think your right. I said this to a guy at the range the other day. I was one of the few people there with a hunting rifle. Almost everyone one there had AR type rifles. And it's like that almost every time I go to the range anymore. Good call.

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
Over 30 years ago I'd been our club's range director for about eight years. When inexpensive surplus SKS rifles and "tuna cans" of 7.62 Russky ammo became available, some of our guys started complaining about how noisy those rifles were (under the tin roofed 100 yard range firing line, especially) and steel cases littering the firing lines. Cracked down on the range litter, solved that part.

Eventually a few of the directors got to fussing about allowing semis on our ranges, including handguns. A couple of them demanded we ban any firearms that weren't legal to hunt with in PA. Got to the point the then President left it up to me. I pointed out that firearms were all the same to me and if members wanted to shoot semis, no problem. One night it got heated and I offered to let someone else take charge of the ranges, 'cause if they banned semis, I was out. No one offered, so that settled that.

Only semis I owned at the time were one 1022, an old Remington Sportsmen 48 shotgun and a 22 pistol. We started having Hi Power matches about 20 years ago, which is when I bought my first AR, a Bushmaster CMP match rifle.

Few more years along and ARs began to become more and more popular. Handguns had become so popular 15 years ago, that we built two new pistol ranges (7 and 15 yards). These days there are semi pistols and ARs on the ranges almost every day.

We currently have close to 1,800 memberships. I'd guess that at least a third or more of them own and shoot some type of semi these days. Times have changed. Ranges are still busy in October and November with hunting rifles, just like they were 40 years ago. The rest of the year you're likely to find any and all sorts of firearms in use.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My boots on the ground see mid range calibers bolts the most popular over the last 5 years. The 760/7600 in 30.06 and marlin levers in 30.30/35 rem are not nearly as prevalent as 15 years ago. Only once in a blue moon does someone join the clan for the day with a 30.30. The 760/7600 have a bad rap in my immediate area due to folks missing shots due to pump not fully extended and misfire.
The 30.06 and short mags are going to gain ground as the PGC continues to offer more bear/deer seasons concurrent. Made a difference in what guns/loads we carry when both are in season.

·
Banned
769 Posts
10/22s gotta be up there along with AR 15. I mostly see bolt rifles and not too many pump or lever 30/30s. But when I do see someone hunting with one you have to appreciate that, sticking with their old go to.

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
I started hunting deer with a 1920s vintage M94 in 32 Special and still do most of my doe hunting the past 20 years, with a lever rifle and open sights. Now it's mostly a M64 30-30 w/Lyman rear sight and Sourdough front sight.

Past years it was with a 1950s vintage 35 Rem. Marlin 336SC/ Williams peep; 444 Marlin/Williams peep; M92 Win. in 38-40, issue irons. There was a long period of time that most of my doe hunting was done at longer ranges with a heavy barreled 25-06. Have used that just once in the past 20 years.

Weakened a few years ago and dropped one with it across the hollow from the camp porch, at well over 300 yards. As long as I can walk and see good enough to use irons, that'll remain my first choice for baldies.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts