The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
At one point in our camp it was a 760 '06. Over time more guys are going to lighter bolt actions in short action calibers. Back in the day, after one or two guys accidentally dropped hammer on a live round in a lever action while loading, it motivated people to shop for a different rifle and new briefs! We used to move between drives with atvs so we were loading and unloading multiple times per day. A magazine (or clip as Remington called them) gun was a better choice.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
Times have changed and I don't think one particular combination is any more popular than any other today. But at one time, the 30-30 in a Winchester M94 or a Marlin 336, and both the Remington 760 and the Savage 99 in various calibers ruled the Pa. woods.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I own five Remington 760 30-06, all from the 1970s and all topped with 3-9 Redfield Widefield's and the rest of my family have the same set-up. I remember driving deer back in the 1970's and 80's, when you could actually get a group of guys to do it. Some days we had the roster limit of 25, and many of them days 15-20 of the guys all had 760 in 06.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I own five Remington 760 30-06, all from the 1970s and all topped with 3-9 Redfield Widefield's and the rest of my family have the same set-up. I remember driving deer back in the 1970's and 80's, when you could actually get a group of guys to do it. Some days we had the roster limit of 25, and many of them days 15-20 of the guys all had 760 in 06.
My Dad bought me a 760 pump used from one of his work buddies probably 45 years ago I still have it if I remember correctly he paid 75 dollars for it. :) It's a 06 with a scope and sling I haven't had it out in years I'll have to dig it and and post a picture of that old war horse. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
It’s been around 25 years since I’ve used a rifle for bear or deer. But back in the day every one at camp and surrounding camps that drove together we’re using a Winchester or Marlin in 30-30.
Since then it’s been 357 or 44 mag revolvers for me during bear and deer seasons.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I would say the Rem. 760, if all calibers, short and long action, are included.

Reactions: DIYASUB

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
760 in 06 was definitely the most common among the 2.5 generations that I hunted with as a kid. The others my age all had 30-30’s given to them by their Dads/Uncles/Pops…
As my age group got older, we graduated mostly into 06 as well, but we all went bolt action. Then most experimented with a few calibers before coming back to 06. A few landed on 308, but 06 is still most common among those of us left.
From what I see at the club range in late October thru mid November, the 760 is still most common with various make 30-30’s 2nd (most of what I see is Marlin). Though the number of guys taking an inline out for both ML and Rifle season seems to be climbing. (I suspect that may have more to do with the club’s proximity to SRA than a shift in overall behavior)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Way back when I started to hunt I had a Rem. 760 carbine 06. I wish I could count all the deer I shot with it. I never had one git away shootin 180 gr. corlock. My uncle used to give me heck for shootin them in the front shoulder, cause we would end up throwin most of the front shoulders away.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts