The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the main seasons for this hunting year are over (I know, spring gobbler is yet to come), I thought it would be good if everyone shared their most memorable moment from the past year.
What "Spirit of the Hunt" moment was the most memorable for you?

For me it was being invited to go on a drive hunt with the Germans on 12 Nov. Although there was little in the way of shooting, it was an experience that I will never forget. To experience the traditions of another hunting culture was incredible. The best moment for me was after talking with some of the Germans and the other experiences of the day, that even though we hunt much different, I realized how very much the same we are. That is not coincidence, that is from the true "Spirit" of hunters.

And I got to say "Waidmannsheil" a lot!

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
The year I shot a 250# 11 pt, which was bigger than any deer my dad ever got. He was pretty proud of me though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Any moment in the woods or stream is a memory to me. I see or learn something new each time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just this past week hunting w/ my father. It has been almost 4yrs since we have been hunted together since being diagnosed w/ multiple myeloma caner. We came back empty handed but it's a hunt I will treasure forever.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
For me the most memorable hunt was a long time ago. It was when I was 11 and I couldn't yet hunt, but got to go along.

That year Dad raised 8 beagles and we were going rabbit hunting in his old 72 VW Bug. I got to sit in the back with the dogs. We got about halfway to the hunting area and the dogs all got car sick....so there I am sitting with 9 dogs and they are all throwing up.....we only go about half a mile and get stopped by the State police... Dad never was much for getting the old VW inspected....the officer walks up to the car and sees what is going on...and says to Dad...know why I stopped you? Dad confirms that the VW isn't inspected...and the Officer says "looks to me like you're having enough trouble today...I'm gonna let ya go on this one...just get your car inspected"

That was the last time we ever hunted rabbits.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
For me this was a easy question,It was standing beside my 10yr. old daughter watching her squeezing of a shot at a ohio doe at a distance of 45yds.She knocked it down within our sight.It was a great shot and one I will remember forever,her first deer.You could see it a couple pages back in youth forum "My favorite Ohio deer"

·
6,450 Posts
bcoz it is all written in my season with out dad i am still grinning ear to ear over a 10 in 7 point whoda figured

·
Registered
761 Posts
Was having my step grandfather come and bear hunt with us this season. I gave up my prime stand for him to sit in. He saw nothing but deer the first day. Saw more deer the second day and third day he chose to stay on stand the 3rd day during lunch. Low and behold in came a bear to feed in a food plot. 80 yrs old and I think that was the happiest I had ever seen him in his lifetime. I didn't harvest one but my spot did. 3rd bear taken out of that area in 2 yrs. I wont complain. Just means I have done my scouting well.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Most memeorable was on the second day of bear season when a big bruin came out of a corn field about 200 yards away and I got two shots off at him, I didn't get him but it will be in my memory bank for years to come.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My father has been hunting bears for years, he's been after them since i could remember. This past season he talked me into going. I'm not much of a hunter like my father and brother. They put me on a ridge over looking a clear cut. About noon he came over to see me, we were eating lunch together when a bear came out of the clear cut running straight at us. I looked at dad and said take him. My father put a great shot on the bear. I will never forget what that had meant to dad, i have never seen him act like a kid before. I will always remember that hunt! Okay it's time to go fishing i told him.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Panfish, great story...my Dad was the same way, unsuccesful bear hunter for decades , then one year he got one done near his home and I got home from a day of bear hunting up here (with some HPA guys)and my wife came to the door and said you got to come in and hear this message from your Dad. Dad (mid 60's) sounded like a little kid ...just wish I would of been there for that, he just retired then and was not sure he wanted to spend the money on the rug. I went half with him for Christmas, to make sure the family always had that momento, he spent many years waiting for that moment and I was and am still really proud of him.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Most memorable hunt of 2008 would be the first day of bear season when we killed 8 bears in the first drive! It is just neat to think about how everything came together for us that day. Still smiling!

·
Registered
464 Posts
RoosterBooster, I wish you could have been there to see your dad harvest a bear. This was the only time I've been hunting where i didn't wish i was fishing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1967 - my first hunt with my Dad - squirrel hunting. I can recall every detail of that day. Man did I feel like I'd accomplished something.
2005- last hunt with my Dad, Deer season, he told me that day was his last day afield. Physical limitations have stripped him of his ability to handle the demands of the day.

I'd trade all my future (and previous) successes for one more day afield with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts