The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the most accurate .357 loads you guys have found? I'll be using a Ruger GP100 6". Am looking for a good load to carry for deer as well as good all around carry ammo.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is a question with no answer. What is accurate in my revolver may not do as well in yours. There is no easy way or shortcuts. You have to buy several different brands and try them all at the same yardages. First thing to do is get familure with the gun and get it sighted in at close range, then move back in increments to the furtherest distance you can shoot well at.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What that guy johns said is pretty much the law of the land.
With that being said , I do find that in mag loadings heavier bullets often shoot better for me than the light weights , not that the light weights don't shoot well , but when I think if cutting holes in mag cases , I'm using 158's of some sort and as luck would have it , I like the heavies for deer so it works out that way.
They no longer make my best shooting 158 gr bullet so giving you that info is mute and I ain't parting with what I have left.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already sighted the hangun in. I just wanted to know what brands/loads work best for a variety of guns and shooting situations in your experiences.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I like to use Hornady XTP bullets and lil'gun powder.
loaded stiff- they will do fine on deer.
good luck...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Ciscokid55 said:
I have already sighted the hangun in. I just wanted to know what brands/loads work best for a variety of guns and shooting situations in your experiences.
If your shooting ammo that is different than what you sighted it in for, you will need to sight in again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like federal castcore 180 grain they shoot great out of my gun.they do not expand, though didnt seem to matter on the doe I shot this year.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I also will be getting a 357 to go along with my 44. I have been looking at bullets to use to hunt with for 357. I want to stay away from HP'S . Nothing wrong with them , I want a s.p bullet. I think remington sells a 158 grain soft point. Anyone else use soft point bullets to hunt?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I generally shoot the Remington 158 grain Jacketed Soft Point out of my S&W Model 19. I have found it to be very accurate in my particular revolver and it has accounted for a few deer. They work well.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a GP100 with a 6" barrel too. I've only shot a couple different factory loads out of it, but they all seemed to shoot about the same. The one that impressed my was the American Eagle 158 gr flat nose. They were dirt cheap, and shot really good. They shoot way better than my cast reloads.

If you want to go spend a bunch of cash testing different loads then by all means have at it. I would go and buy a couple different factory loads that are both readily available and inexpensive (relatively speaking).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts