The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all places I thought I'd not be recommending...Mossberg.

My son bought a Mossberg rifled barrel last week (for an old 500 shotgun I gave him). It shoots lights out. 12 ga 2 3/4 inch Remington sluggers, cloverleaf at 50 yards. So it is off to a family New York deer hunting in 10 days.

Like all pump guns sling swivels are difficult to mount on the mag tube. Mossbergs are especially tough as they have a screw not a nut (unlike Rem 870s). but I have tapped a plug screw on a few.

Now it seems the new barrel mag bolts have a tap hole in them. I tried Brownells and Midway to get a screw that would mate..no luck.

so I emailed Mossberg, defining the problem.

They emailed back today and said if I gave them my home address, they would send me on free. An American made product that is inexpensive and they SUPPORT their customer base.

Hats off to Mossberg.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have no idea why some people hate Mossberg shotguns. They are dirt cheap and work great. Sure they are rough around the edges, but they smooth out the more you hunt with one.

It's sort of like beer if you will. If you are used to cheap beer, and never drink much else you wouldn't know the difference. But if you got used to "good" beer anything less is...well...less.

I see guys on here all the time telling how they wouldn't even paddle a conoe with one. I'm guessing either they never tried one or they are just used to a much higher end gun.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I bought my first 835 a year after they came out. Got my son an 835 about 6 years ago because I was impressed with the reliability of mine. Now between the two of us we have 4 835's and a 935. Can you say were sold on Mossberg? Also my FIL has an old maverick that I've never seen malfunction either.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have owned and still own two 500s have for years. Never had a problem with either, they are the easiest gun to take down for a though cleaning I have owned. I own a couple other shot guns, a Rem and a Winchester, The rem is a great gun with beautiful wood, but not something I want to take out fox hunting at mid-night in the brush, or on the marsh duck hunting, or for that matter stomping through the brush rabbit hunting.
If the old Mossberg gets another scratch no big deal. The Mossberg is like the Timex, takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have an835 and have taken it to Saskatchewan and Missouri for snow geese. Fired around 150 shots in 3 days in Sask. and no problems. 2 trips to Mo. and fired around 100 shots, no problems. Think it is a great gun. I fired 3 1/2 and 3" magnums.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I got 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Mossberg 835 ..... ALL excellent guns for the $$!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the 500 I gave my son back in 1972, when the steel shot ban came out. $56.

It has taken a beating, constantly. Probably killed 40-50 geese, 10 turkeys, untold ducks and more than a few bunnies with it.

The blueing when new is so thin that it rusted every day I took it in the boat waterfowl hunting. So I automotive strayed the barrel 9action is al) then I use hose paint on the stock, Lexington green, as all the finish disolved in a rain/sleet storm in Crawford county.

I've only had one design/manufacturing failure. the magazine tube 3-shot restrictor was made from 3/16 raw wood. I warped terrible and bound the mag spring. $45 to rebuild it. at Mossberg gunsmith. i replaced with a 3/8 impregnated hardwood dowel. Works good now. I understand that they use a plastic rod now, good thinking guys.

They are low cost, low end finshed, but are cheap. And durable. No comparison to and Rem 870 nor any of my Italian doubles. But they are cheap and durable..again.

For a guy starting hunting, not a bad way to get into the sport.

PS I've shot a 25 at trap with the old clunker. Yep, it got laughs..but 3 of the other guys on line that night shot less than a 25. LOL

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I love my 500. only other shotty's ive ever owned were a winchester 1300 ranger and a 1886 white powder wonder. none ever failed to function. the WPW had a HAIR trigger though...and it swings nice. I don't hunt with it anymore, but the 500 gets alot of use.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
iggy63 said:
the only brand shot gun i have had for years is mossberg. i wont by nothing else. good luck to all
Same here

·
Registered
25,475 Posts
Swapped a NIB Win. M120 Ranger for a NIB M500 (20" VR AccuChoke bbl), about 30 years ago. Mossie barrels were cheap and easy to find, Winchester barrels were neither. Acquired a 24" smooth bore slug barrel along the way.

The old M500 is no longer as handsome as when it was new
, but it still works fine.

Bought one of their synthetic/matte combo guns some years ago when Dunhams had 'em on sale, so now I have two shotguns and four barrels. Combo gun came with a 28" VR and 24" rifled slug barrel, cantilever scope mount. It's what I mostly use now.

Nothing wrong with the M120 Rangers, either. A cousin has had one for more years than I've had the original M500 and it still works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
DennyF said:
Bought one of their synthetic/matte combo guns some years ago when Dunhams had 'em on sale, so now I have two shotguns and four barrels. Combo gun came with a 28" VR and 24" rifled slug barrel, cantilever scope mount.
That's mine exactly. The guy at Dunham's told me they make those parkerized combos specifically for them. Everything I've shot for the last year has been with one.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have an 835 with the spray on camo pattern have had it about 8 years now only thing that ever went wrong with it is the spring twisted a little in the mag tube(that happened this spring)turned it around works great again i probably put more that a 1,000 rounds through it already...amazing guns and i think they look great!

·
Registered
393 Posts
For some reason, back when I started hunting 25+/- years ago, I though Mossbergs were not good guns. I don't know why, but I did.

I had an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight that could break clay birds at 100 yds with a 28" modified barrel and Winchester foster slugs. I hunted with that gun for about 12 years, then "retired" from hunting until last year. The gun hadn't been shot for about 15 years. Last year I took it out and it wasn't shooting as accurately as it did, and I noticed the barrel "support ring" that went around the magazine tube allowed for some play, throwing off the accuracy of the gun. I managed to shim it to get me through deer season last year without the need for a shot at a deer.

Fast forward to this year - not feeling like I should ethically hunt with that gun, I sold it and bought a Mossberg 500 field/deer combo from Dicks for $279 incl cantilever slug barrel, 2x25 scope (mediocre), and 28" field barrel with 3 (4?) choke tubes. I put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 scope on it and had that bad boy sighted in with 5 rds on Sat.

I can't say I can speak to the reliability of it yet, it feels good and shoots awesome so far. I'm hoping I have the good fortune with it that so many have had with theirs.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
makeitcount - i bought that same gun only with JUST theslug barrel and scope about 10+ years ago and have never looked back. it's always shot lightfields well, and until Hastings shut down it did very well with hastings slugs too. this year i'm back to the lightfields and maybe the hornady SST's which it likes as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts