The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mossy 835 that has issues ejecting the shell or cycling for the follow up shot.

My kid thinks it is because I use 3.5 inch shells.

I’ve had it to two gunsmiths who both say it is mechanically sound.

Anyone else think 3.5 inch shells are an issue?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a mossy 835 that has issues ejecting the shell or cycling for the follow up shot.

My kid thinks it is because I use 3.5 inch shells.

I’ve had it to two gunsmiths who both say it is mechanically sound.

Anyone else think 3.5 inch shells are an issue?
It's a common and well documented problem. It's the 3.5 inch shells.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Yes.. Its called Short stroking.... Your so used to shooting 2.75 you need to smack that SOB bad and forward.
agree 100% Slavage! You have to lay into them like you mean you want another round in the chamber!

·
Premium Member
23,863 Posts
Had a new 835. Same problem with mine....2nd 3.5" shell jammed over half the time. I also didn't like how loosely built the gun was causing rattling. It did pattern well. Gave it one season and sold. Ended up with a gas operated semi Browning Gold & haven't looked back.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I had my Mossy do the same thing last year, It is an older 835 built in the late 90`s`. It would not chamber another shell after one shot no matter what size shell I used. I could not get a shell to chamber no matter how hard I pumped it.

I had a master gunsmith look at it and he found I had a broken part that helped chamber shells when pumped. He had to send for the parts and one he couldn`t get so he made one. Total cost 80.00 and now its as good as new.

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts
I had one years ago, got rid of it because of jamming. My two buddies still hunt with theirs. They claim the Federal brand are the only 3 1/2 shells that work smoothly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
work that slide like you mean it, 23 years I have a 835 zero issues but at times I find myself not working the slide like I mean it and the shell gets hung up

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got a like new used one in the early 90s. The forend more fwd on those.
Zero cycling issues w 3" slugs or 3.5" steel goose loads. Ran 3" duck.loads fine too.

Actually was pretty smooth for a Mossberg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts