The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how hard it is to work the trigger on this gun to get it to an acceptable level? The gun shoots fine when on the bench and really concentrate on the squeeze, but in a hunting situation that 7 1/2 to 9 pound trigger is an accuracy killer. Help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Time to start working that stress relief ball and get that trigger finger's weight up. Just kidding. I'm not familiar with these, can probably get it done at a gunsmith for a decent price, maybe $50-60?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Does anyone know how hard it is to work the trigger on this gun to get it to an acceptable level? The gun shoots fine when on the bench and really concentrate on the squeeze, but in a hunting situation that 7 1/2 to 9 pound trigger is an accuracy killer. Help.
Any qualified gunsmith in your area should be able to rework the trigger to a reasonable pull , but now is a bad time of the year to take it in and expect to have it finished in time for hunting season.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun shoots good from the bench when you can really concentrate on the squeeze. The problem with the trigger is it has some initial "slop", then you hit the wall, then it's a mushy 7 lb trigger pull. An accuracy killer especially in a hunting situation.

I took it to a gunsmith last week. He basically told me to save my money because he could not guarantee that after he took it apart and worked on it that it would be any better. He said they basically made the trigger to NOT be worked on. It was a cheap gun and the trigger assembly was where they saved a lot of the money.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the trigger group from a mossberg model 395 can be modified and used as a replacement. they are a very light trigger and work perfectly. I found mine on ebay for $15

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uncysid said:
the trigger group from a mossberg model 395 can be modified and used as a replacement. they are a very light trigger and work perfectly. I found mine on ebay for $15
I'll look into that...thanks.

Did you do this to your gun? How difficult and what to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes I did do this to my gun. I bought a 695 off a member on here that was missing a trigger group and I could not find a 695 replacement. After doing some research I found out that they were nearly identical. It was very simple and you use some of each models parts I don't exactly remember which but it is pretty much self explanitory. I do remember you have to grind down a bit of the safety catch lever otherwise it hits your nice plastic safety. you also have to modify your clip release slightly but that can be done with a couple washers.

All in all it cost me $15 off ebay and I had it changed out in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to check into this. May have to hit you up for advice, if you don't mind. I take it you like the 395 trigger? Is it crisp? What's the pull?

If I can get a good trigger on this gun I'll have one heck of a slug gun.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ya, Hit me up if you need help.

I have never measured it with a gauge but I will say I love it and it is much lighter than the 695's I have felt. It is VERY crisp with no slop in it at all.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK....what do I need to order? If I order a 395 "trigger assembly" is that everything I need? Do I use the magazine release from the 695?
I'm going though with this switch as the 695 trigger is just plain unaceptable to me. Either that or sell the gun and I'm not ready to do that just yet.
You help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
get everything. This includes the pins, safety latch, spring, sear etc. yes you'll use your mag release from the 695.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this time I have not gotten a 395 trigger assembly. Going to use the gun in Ohio here shortly.
I took her to the range yesterday and using 2 3/4" Remington Copper Solids shot a three shot, 100 yard group under 2" and two of the shots were touching. That's with the stock trigger. This gun is a shooter and with the 2 3/4" shells the recoil isn't bothersome at all.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Where is the safety at on these? Ive looked at pictures of 695s and cant seem to find it. Thought about picking up one of these next time I see one for sale for a little project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts