The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A young friend is just about to acquire a shotgun. It will be used as a slug gun, a turkey gun and a small game/home defense firearm. I suggested a 12 guage and had him try a couple of my Mossbergs and a 870. He is leaning to the Mossbergs and found a good deal on a 535. He will probably be shooting 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. I have no personal experience with this firearm. So I figured I would come here where some of you folks have used/owned them.

I have heard that they do not feed 2 3/4 shells reliability. Also, can they use model 500 barrels? It seems to me that they would not be able to put up with a lot of 3 1/2 inch shells without destroying the gun (but not may folks would be running a lot of 3 1/2's through their guns).

Thoughts/ comments/ insights all appreciated.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
is the 535 the supermag pump gun? if so my cousin bought one a few weeks back with the cantilever barrle and filed barrel. its a nice looking gun, his is all camo. personally i cant stand it though, the trigger is a joke. i tried shooting it and i couldnt do it. i will take my ithaca or remington trigger anyday over that mossberg. other than that it looked and shot pretty good for him. he killed a deer with it yesterday.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
oops. i wasnt sure, i dont shoot or own mossbergs. other than the trigger though, it seemed like a nice peice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told the same thing 535 has a stretched reciever and also has a regular 12 gauge barrel to where the new 835 have a 10 gauge barrel to hold a better pattern. I went with the tactical turkey 835 this year and it just shoots great.. On both ends tho ...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My .02.. If he isn't going to shoot 3.5" at all, get a 500. You can get them a little cheaper. My 835 struggles with 2 3/4 when i'm shooting clays, but shooting 3 and 3 1/2" for waterfowl it does great. If he wants to shoot 3 1/2 get an 835. The over-bored barrel does wonders with patterning on larger shells. I have a friend that had a 535 and was pleased with it, but having had both a 500 and 835, I would go either or, not really a compromise in the middle.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx for the input guys. If he wasn't on such a budget, I would suggest he look at a Benneli. But a Mossburg is what he can afford, and it probably is all he will need. I can usually come up with one fairly cheap on the used market

1 - 9 of 9 Posts