The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have the Mossberg 500 Special Hunter package from Dunham's? It's a synthetic 500 with ported and parkerized barrels - a field barrel and rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount and fixed 2.5x20 scope. I just got one and tried it out on Saturday. Field barrel was fine for small game and it shot Hornady SST's well enough. I'm happy with it so far.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i have basically the same gun minus the field barrel. i have the 24" vented rifled cantilever slug barrel with a 1.5-4x scope and it gets fed lightfield and hastings slugs (usually the hastings)

I liked the way the hornady slugs grouped, but am finding thru others that they have questionable performance on shorter shots - YMMV

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the 500 in wood. The scope that came with it was not very good. I replaced it with a Bushnell Trophy Hunter 1.5-4. I shoot Remington sluggers and it shoots nice groups. I like the set up. It is one big gun...not for recoil-shy guys.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, yeah, it kicked a bit. It took a dozen rounds to get it sighted in. Still, it should do well for me.

I needed the one-gun-that-can-do-everything because this is the first one I've owned since my others became casualties of my divorce last year.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
roger that...have ALWAYS said a hunters first weapon should be a good shotgun with a slug and field barrel. From there the stable grows.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ztroutman said:
I have the 500 in wood. The scope that came with it was not very good. I replaced it with a Bushnell Trophy Hunter 1.5-4. I shoot Remington sluggers and it shoots nice groups. I like the set up. It is one big gun...not for recoil-shy guys.
You aren't shooting those rifled sluggers thru a rifled barrel are you? Is that the standard 500 smoothbore slug barrel? or the rifled barrel that friedlbug was talking about? I used to work at Wal-Mart when they still sold guns...

I was amazed at how may people would buy the Sabot loads for a smoothbore (which is useless) or the rifled slugs to shoot thru a rifled barrel (it can be done, but the ballistics aren't as good). It should be the other way around for best results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts