The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a mossberg 4x4 30-06 on lay away. dont relly need it but could not pass up the price gander had it on clearnce. It the stainless barrel synth stock with the cut out in the butt and the vent slots in the forend. comes with a mossburg 3x9x40 scope but that will prob be changed. Anyone have one or heard much about them they also had a marlin for the same price but i liked the feel of the 4x4. Thanks for any info

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
They aren't bad. Mossberg has cheaper lines in the 100ATR and Whitetail Hunter models and those two have given Mossberg a bad rap. The 4X4 looks pretty cool and seems to be a decent rifle from what I hear.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Moose, without looking it up on my end, whats the model that has the heavy fluted barrel?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i'd take the 4x4 over the ATR any day of the week. the 4x4 has a better bolt engagement and has not been prone to bolt breakage when firing...at least not that i've read about anywhere. if you search hard enough you will find the pics of a guy who had an ATR in 30.06 where the bolt failed during firing and he took most of the blow in the cheek/upper jaw. not pretty

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
jayd4wg said:
i'd take the 4x4 over the ATR any day of the week. the 4x4 has a better bolt engagement and has not been prone to bolt breakage when firing...at least not that i've read about anywhere. if you search hard enough you will find the pics of a guy who had an ATR in 30.06 where the bolt failed during firing and he took most of the blow in the cheek/upper jaw. not pretty

I saw that pic of that ATR failure too. Wasn't pretty. If you're gonna buy Mossberg the 4X4 is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen the atr and yes they seem very cheap the 4x4 seems to be better made. It feels very solid and the action is very smoth. I have always had mossberg shot guns so i figured for the price i would try it. Plus needed a cal that was cheaper to shoot than the 7wsm. I like the 20 bucks a box over 50 to 60 a box. It will prob end up as a back up gun. but will have to wait till after the wedding and get it out and see how well it shoots.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
bowhunter0131 said:
I have seen the atr and yes they seem very cheap the 4x4 seems to be better made. It feels very solid and the action is very smoth. I have always had mossberg shot guns so i figured for the price i would try it. Plus needed a cal that was cheaper to shoot than the 7wsm. I like the 20 bucks a box over 50 to 60 a box. It will prob end up as a back up gun. but will have to wait till after the wedding and get it out and see how well it shoots.

A .30-06 made to play backup to a 7 short mag?

Is there no decency?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The ATR is the old Raptor rifle. Mossberg bought the rights to build them after the original company was going under. The raptor never caught on but with Mossberg marketing the ATR it has sold pretty well. The 4x4 is supposed to be a much better rifle but I don't know the history behind that model.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
moose whats wrong with it being a back up. I may carry it for deer but will def carry the 7wsm for bear. Its also awsome on deer the doe i shot last year droped in her tracks at 167 yards. Have to see how the 4x4 shoots i read some reviews on the net and they are supost to be great shooters. I still have a few boxs of 06 shells from when i had my 760 so i will start with them.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I was just kiddin' is all. I'm pretty well known around here for being a rabid .30-06 enthusiast so I had to keep up appearances.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i figured that i love the 06 to the last one i had was deadly. Most deer droped in feet not yards but i go layed off and had to sell it. then when i went to work i picked up the 7 sm. Now the price of ammo has gone up so the 06 will be much cheaper to shoot. What loads do you shoot for bear or deer i always shot 180 power points out of my old one but dont know if i would trust them on bear.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Anything 180 will be fine for Bear. I load my own and use 180 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters. Lately I've been thinking about using the 170 grain flatpoint for the .30-30 in my '06. I haven't gotten around to getting any powder for a while though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
let me know how to 170s work i used to reload but dont have time anymore. my unkle has all my stuff i might have to get back into it. I have a few boxs of 30 30 bullets around here somewere i never though of trying them could be awsome on deer in the woods

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
In my opinion the 4x4 doesnt look bad at all, do any
of you guys remember the Mossberg Model 810? Now that
was a odd looking rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts