The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i have 410 and would like to get a scope on it for deer hunting.my question is how much would it cost to get the gun drilled to but the scope mount on?

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Why do you want to use a 410 for deer?I am not asking to be a jerk,Is it for you?for a young hunter?Do you need something to use to hunt deer?I have a 12 ga. with a slug bbl and a scope if you would like to use it.If you have another option I PERSONALLY would not use a 410.They would have a very limited range of effectiveness....If you want the gun drilled it may help to know what it is,I assume it is a pump gun.Please don't think I am trying in any manner to be rude towards you.

·
Registered
24,758 Posts
contact mossberg

Contact Information:
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
7 Grasso Ave.
North Haven, CT 06473
Telephone: (203) 230-5300 (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. E.S.T.)
Fax: (203) 230-5420

For Service Inquiries: 800-363-3555

My 410 owners manual does not recommend shooting slugs with a fixed full choke 410 barrel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10der22 the thought of you being a jerk never crossed my mind trust me. i never would use it i have a 10 year old cousin that wants to hunt with me next year in ohio. he is very little framed had a illness when he was only 3 and is smaller then a average 10 year old 4 foot 3 in and 70 pounds. little guy wants to go and i have a new mossberg pump and figured it might just be the way to go. thanks for the replies fellas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couple of his friends are getting into hunting next year and i just dont have the heart to tell him he cant go because he cant shoot a bigger guage.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
.357 mags have killed alot of deer, a .410 with a slug has more energy than a .357 mag. Keep your shots within 75 yards and use Federal or Brenneke slugs with a cylinder or I/C choke and you should be fine. Have him practice with it and be sure he is comfortable shooting it. Call around for the drill and tap, shouldnt be to expensive. Good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
epointer thanks for the advice do you happen to know of how much you thik the cost of that would be?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would think around $60 or so it depends on the smith. Some are cheaper than others. Best to just call a smith around you and ask. Dont bother with a Gander Mtn smith...

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
One of the biggest deer I personally saw taken during the gun season here in 5C was taken with a 410 about 6 years ago. The guy was in the stand with his son. They both had unused vaild deer licenses and when the deer came out the father used the son's 410 and took the shot and it was a huge deer.
I just so happened to be hunting that farm that morning as well.
It's all about putting the bullet in the boiler room.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If it's an older model bolt action like the New Haven 203TA, there may not be enough metal that's thick enough near the receiver to drill and tap for a scope or other sight.
I looked into it several years ago for a bolt action 12ga. that shot foster style slugs really well but only had a raised notch and a bead.
I took it to several gunsmiths and all said that it couldn't be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts