The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the flyer I received from Cabelas yesterday that they have Mosin Nagant's for $100 new (I think).

I'm sure some of you guys own one, and while I can't afford one right now since I need some other odds and ends for hunting season, I'm just wondering how well they shoot?

I really wish I could afford one, just for another gun to tinker with at the range. Especially for $100.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
some are better than others. but to be honest, with most offerings and hunting bullets available for them, it would NOT be a bad knockaround gun for deer drives. Or a loaner for that matter. some shoot way better than others.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Russian refurbs will usually do 3" or better at 100yds with the right ammo.
Buy a Finnish model and you can get down to 1.5" groups.

Good price for a piece of history, and with ammo at $79 for 440rds it is cheaper than reloading and very good practice.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If Vapor Trail would ever be allowed back on here he could give you alot of info on the Mosin's. He found me some nice ones and I'll be making my 1st Nagant purchase within the week.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Not really sure, they said something about him degrading women because he said his cousin was moving here to find good hunting and a good woman. I don't really see how thats degrading, I'm looking for good hunting and a good woman all the time. Oh well, I know he's been doing alot of research on the Mosin's and has been shooting them alot. Actually he was at the range yesterday firing away.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Sorry to hear about Vapor Trail. Some of the mods are overly touchy on HPA. I've had five Mosins. Four M44 carbines and one rifle. they all shot reasonably well. None of them were going to turn out an MOA group but they all could keep them in 3" @100. One or two could hold about 2" @100.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I own a couple

I was really into collecting them a while back. Having a C&R FFL and being able to order them and have them sent right to my house is nice. I have a few 91/30s that shoot really well and a few that are OK. My most accurate are the Finish m39's. They are a lot of fun to shoot. Century International has a sale going on right now on 91/30's. They are 3 for $160. Most on the market today are refurbs, not much collector value but they should shoot fine and ammo is cheap. I have a Polish M44 with a really bad stock I was going to use for parts but I have been thinking of getting a synthetic stock for it and making a scout set up out of it.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I paid $40 for mine...What's great about these, is that the ammo is perhaps the cheapest going, and it's 30-06 class in power...Longest rifle I own, you can reach out and touch'em without even pulling the trigger!

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I'll be picking one up tomorrow at Cabelas - heck it's only a little scratch!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have a model 44 that I bought from a friend for 75 bucks, came with close to 200 rounds of ammo! The safety is pretty much useless on these guns, really tough to engage/disengage. Many guys who hunt them carry them with the bolt open. The attached bayonet on the 44's is kind of goofy for hunting, from what I'm told the russians had a bayonet fetish, soldiers were required to have their bayonet on their rifle at all times. I've also heard that removing it from the 44 makes it shoot worse although I haven't tried. There is a carbine that doesn't have the attached bayonet, I want to say model 38, but I"m not sure.

Also you have to be careful when loading them. The cartridge is rimmed, if you don't stack them right they will get hung up on each other and not feed.

Cheap rifle, with cheap available ammo, so you can plink away with a little more boom then usual!

There were quite a few model 91's manufactured in the US by Remington and New England Westinghouse. The czar contracted millions of them to the US. The contracts were canceled when the czar was overthrown. The completed rifles were bought by the US government for National Guard units and training.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
the M38 does not nave a bayonet, the M44 has an attached bayonet, the 91/30 has a bayonet lug i believe.from everything i've read the M44 it best shot with the bayonet extended. one thing about taking an M44 hunting if you can't hit them with the bullet the muzzle blast will scare them to death. its a neat gun to shoot late evening though, big fireballs

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
BlkKnt62 said:
I have a model 44 that I bought from a friend for 75 bucks, came with close to 200 rounds of ammo! The safety is pretty much useless on these guns, really tough to engage/disengage. Many guys who hunt them carry them with the bolt open. The attached bayonet on the 44's is kind of goofy for hunting, from what I'm told the russians had a bayonet fetish, soldiers were required to have their bayonet on their rifle at all times. I've also heard that removing it from the 44 makes it shoot worse although I haven't tried. There is a carbine that doesn't have the attached bayonet, I want to say model 38, but I"m not sure.

Also you have to be careful when loading them. The cartridge is rimmed, if you don't stack them right they will get hung up on each other and not feed.

Cheap rifle, with cheap available ammo, so you can plink away with a little more boom then usual!

There were quite a few model 91's manufactured in the US by Remington and New England Westinghouse. The czar contracted millions of them to the US. The contracts were canceled when the czar was overthrown. The completed rifles were bought by the US government for National Guard units and training.

Very true.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The M38 and M91/59 are two more common carbines without bayonets. If you look at my picture the bottom two on the right are the M38 and M91/59. The M38 was a carbine from the beginning. The 91/59 started life out as a 91/30 and was cut down to carbine length around 1959. There was also an early carbine, I believe it is a m1910 which is very rare and only a few exist in the U.S. Many Westinghouse and Remington's were converted to 30/06 but are dangerous to shoot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't know abouyt the safety being worthless , they certainly are positive when engaged , just eat a bowel of wheaties before heading out.
I welded a ring onto the back of one of mine to slip my finger threw , mostly because the scope gets in the way.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's a really nice mod on the safety! You're right, the safety definitely works when engaged, but it would be tough to get off in a hurry. Its round, and smooth, and you have to pull and twist at the the same time. The spring on mine is tight, making disengaging a real process. That loop you added would make it a lot easier I think.

·
Registered
893 Posts
BlkKnt62 said:
That's a really nice mod on the safety! You're right, the safety definitely works when engaged, but it would be tough to get off in a hurry. Its round, and smooth, and you have to pull and twist at the the same time. The spring on mine is tight, making disengaging a real process. That loop you added would make it a lot easier I think.
On mine without the ring , I find it easier to use 2 fingers and slip them around the stem coming out of the coin shaped knob "holding it somewhat like a smoke" and pulling then twisting instead of trying to grab the ends of the coin like knob.
If ya can picture what I'm saying....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
trigger lock? i'd trust that old mosin safty any time. might have to get the gloves off to grab the knob but as far as i've seen its the most positive saftey ever built

1 - 20 of 29 Posts