The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Plante d about 100 8 years ago at our hunting camp in Tioga cxounty had about 60% success. the trees that survived are growing well, we have them in tubes. Our success would have been higher if the bear cubs would have left the tubes alone. They knocked down about a 12 tubes & either broke or up rooted them.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
It might have been deer knocking them down too.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Of the thousands of trees I've planted over the years, my Morse hybrid oaks have done the worst.

Pure hype in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Mine are 6-7 years old. None taller than 5 ft. 80% mortality. No producers yet.

We bought 4 different variety of hybrids but can't recall which ones.

In comparison, I have game commission chinese chestnut and sawtooth oak which are 6 years old and some are approaching 15-20 ft. We've had good Chestnut production the past 2 years.

Back when the QDMA forums were still going, many weren't very impressed with Morse products. You're experience may be different.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's not great news. I ordered 2 year old selects. Some are 4'+ already. Most are going to camp, but 2 will stay locally. They will get babied and a little extra attention. The goal is to harvest nuts eventually for new plantings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I planted 8 - 2 year old selects in 4' tubes two springs ago and they are barely above the tubes. I also planted 24 seedlings and a large percentage did not make it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts