The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only hunt morning or evening during the rut, which would it be? I know good things can happen anytime you are in the woods, but if you had to choose? I apologize if this was asked before.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I’ve had a lot of all day sits where I haven’t saw a deer after 1pm. Not many where I didn’t at least see or hear a deer before that. I get a lot of pics of evening cruisers though, just not where I’m sitting that day.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
Definitely all day longer during the rut.......Around noon say 11, 11:30 to 1:30 has been good to me over several years.....I have learned to have a pocket open and ready to ditch my sandwich or protein bar.....One year took a nice buck in PA between 11 and 11:30 the next day in WV heard a grunt around 11:30 and here come another 8 pioneer walking into my stand. Others come to mind a IN State buck appeared around noon which scored 154 net and another a 133 KY buck at 1:30 plus an OH buck at 11:30 scored 130......noon time PA high tined 8 point I had on T cams about a mile away..... Others. But to your question of morning vs evening...overall mornings have been better for me...for which I am thinkful for the daylight drag.... The more one is in the woods the better th chances are of success.

Lost opportunities around noon as I got caught in the process of hanging my stand. One in Indiana caught me awakardly hanging from an old tree while holding my stand 20' up....he stooded and stared up at me for a few minutes...he was a very nice buck...never seen him again.

2nd one in IN at noon time moving locations all my gear, bow stand etc. were spread out on the ground in prep to climb when two doe came running in directly at me, stopped within 10 to 20' of me stood seeming ignoring my presence until one doe ran taking the buck with her another 8 point.

OH saw an 8 point standing about a 100 yards from me and other bucks and doe around the same area for over and hour. Finally the 8 point came to my calling to about 18 yds, stood with his antlers out of the brush, but no shot. He walked off alway from me.

I got down drug my stand and gear 100 yds. to the high activity area and start to erect my stand I was all complete except for pulling my bow up and what happen...he walk into 15 yards from me, acted causal, so when he turned his head away I would start to pull my bow up from the ground, but it would make a noise in the leaves and he would stare right at the bow....we played that game a few times and he walked out of my life....Just one or two minutes later would have provided a great shot opportunity with a short down hill drag....never happen.

All day for me.....

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Definitely morning in the rut. Late morning about 9 to 12 is my favorite time in the rut more specifically.
Literally this. I like from 8am through 130pm. Regardless of weather conditions...

I'm most fond of sitting down wind of "major doe bedding" and trying to catch a mature buck sneak through scent checking for bedded doe's at around noon or 1230. Shot my biggest buck to date at 1232 as he came in looking for Ms. Right. This is incredibly common if you can pinpoint major doe bedding...The doe's don't even need to be there, but they need to frequent it throughout the entire season.

I hunt this specific bedding area once on the first few days of the season and not again until the most perfect high pressure/low temp day situated between 10/31 and mid November. It has never let me down and I have ALWAYS seen tons of hot doe's and bucks scent checking or chasing.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My usual rut routine is I go into each an every day planned and equipped to sit all day, schedule permitting. I don't even think of moving until noon (before time change) or 1 (after). [Exception....if I am seeing chasing off in the distance but nothing close, I'll sometimes make a quick move to get in the zone. Killed one of my best archery bucks 2 years ago doing just that. Had a couple chases about 80 yards away, relocated to that spot, and shot a cruiser at noon there.

At noon/1ish, if I have live bait around and have seen a lot of action, I dig in for the evening sit. If it's been dead, I locate to another spot for the last couple hours. Sometimes that's a 100 yard shift, other days it's a hike out and drive somewhere else. I've killed bucks at all hours of day during the rut but that strategy seems to work well and keeps me from getting too overly burnt out.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Mornings hands down during the rut. Late morning is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Morning usually is the best, During rut a lonely buck in search of a hot doe can appear at any moment. Evenings when doe start to eat that's a good time to hunt.Bucks don't feed much during the rut but he's out there looking for a girlfriend

·
Registered
435 Posts
I prefer mornings... Not so much because I've had more success, but just the excitement and mystery of the woods coming alive at sunrise. Had this dump truck sneak in behind me in the one direction I didn't think any deer would come at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 8 last year. We played the head bob game for 5 minutes until he walked away, paused quartering away and shot under him when I thought he was 30 and he was really 38. Shot his less obese cousin at 4:30 later that day.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If I had to pick only one time of day to hunt it would be evenings in October and mornings in November.
My thoughts exactly. Seems like the first few weeks the afternoon has a little longer movement period. Mornings in october seems like bucks get to their bedding area and not on their feet much after daylight. Once november comes i want to be in my stand as much as possible, but usually see more movement early then get a lull for a while. 10 to 2 is a great time when rut is on iv'e killed a lot of bucks including my best in that time frame.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would have to look over my notes but off the top of my head I see the most bucks in the morning during rut but the best bucks in the evening.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I don't have a preference. I hunt funnels and travel corridors till early afternoon, then switch to feeding areas if I'm not seeing much. Daylite to 9am is usually pretty slow for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts