The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having any luck yet? I haven't been out yet, maybe in the morning. A buddy of mine got about 30 this week in southern Blair county. Eastern facing slope.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Looked in a few spots on my land yesterday. Found 37. 9 were a bit rotten. Greys and small yellows. End of this week will probably be the peak here in SW PA. Many years back in SW PA, the peak was around the first week of May. It hasn't been that way here for some years now, as the early heat brings them on earlier.

·
Registered
18,812 Posts
They have been up for 10-12 days in western Washington County. No doubt the season is getting earlier as time passes by.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Went out from 5:30 - 7:00 (Pens game) last evening. Gathered about 80 more.. About 1/3 Greys and the rest yellers. Most about 3", but came across 6 or so real stuffer size. Was shocked to see yellows of that size already.

Temps cooling off, whish is a VERY good thing. Heat kills 'em.

·
Registered
400 Posts
anyone finding them around the ash trees that have been hit by the disease and bark falling off

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Snyder County...
This morning, my wife found 35-40 at the back of our property.
Too small to pick, but we'll be watching.
Going to be a banner year. Conditions are right.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Well, I gave morel hunting a shot for the first time. I'm not putting on airs, but I think I might be kind of good at it. I got 25 total and one small dryad's saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's pretty good for your first time. Congrats. I will be traveling to a friend's spot in MD Friday. We usually do pretty well there. I'm hoping we end up with around ten lbs. The conditions have been perfect there.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I'm headed back to the same area tomorrow. We had some rain this morning so I'm hoping it jumpstarts some more. There's a whole other creek valley I didn't get to explore last night that looked very similar to the one I found these in. These were all around dead elm trees. I had a hen turkey scare the crap out of me when she took off 3 feet from me. She was sitting on 11 eggs. I had stumbled on this area by dumb luck. A few weeks ago, I had had watched a video on identifying areas and habitat morels like. I went to this creek bottom to set a minnow trap. I started looking around and saw several indicators the video showed. I told my mushroom hunting buddy about the area (he's the one who gave me the link to the video). He stopped by real quick Sunday to check it out and picked a good pile not far off of the road. He called and told me I was dead on so I went back last night. We're going together tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Nice find, Buckethead

Am fortunate to have Morels growing at the back of our property. Between an Ash tree and Ash tree stump.
Going to pick some tomorrow. Wife has been watching them since Friday.
Here's the spot out back...
IMG_0016.JPG
Morels like to hide...
IMG_0019.JPG

Can you see 7 Morels?
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Found a bunch of morels after work today.Hey buckethead ,I hope you like the dryad better than I do.I see lots of them and tryed them last year but will leave them alone for now on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone ever have any luck in Potter County? Heading up there today. Not looking for someone's spot, just want to know if I would be wasting my time.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Hey buckethead ,I hope you like the dryad better than I do.I see lots of them and tryed them last year but will leave them alone for now on.

Yeah, I liked it. It was small. I thought it tasted somewhat like sheep head. I read the bigger they are the less tasty. There was a real small one growing next to where I got this one. It should be pretty good today.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts