The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure I'd start it off. You can sure tell how long this winter has been, as it's mid-march, and ZERO talk of the upcoming Morel season. Reckon it's going to be VERY VERY late this year due to ground temps. Last year, found my first on the earliest date ever. I think it was March 23rd if memory serves. In recent years, they've been all but done in SW PA by 2nd week of May, due to the extreme heat. We shall see what this year holds.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Warm night with Spring rains...By all means check but in SCPA it appears they like to show themselves on or about 23 April..We get some warm days it will be sooner..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also looking forward to the upcoming season. If anybody from Washington County area is looking for a partner to enjoy an evening of morel hunting drop me a line. Not looking for anyone's honey holes, willing to share locations.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
We had 3 inches of snow yesterday, hard to think about finding morels when we can't even find spring....

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all this forecasted moisture and warmth, it wouldn't hurt to check som early black spots later next week/weekend. Seeing some larger scarlet cups, so the blacks are real close.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gettin closer. Probably next week for the early Greys and Blacks. Whish actually is wayyyyyy later than recent years due to the unseasonably HOT prior springs.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Gonna take a walk tomorrow afternoon. I think it is a tad early but you never know.

·
Registered
481 Posts
MathewsMan85 said:
Anyone got any tips to finding them?
I'm in 2b also, I usually always find them on the flats at the top or the bottom of hills with dead elms, that get morning sun. Don't find as many on the slopes their selves as the flat on top. Timing is everything, if you're there the right time, you can hit the jackpot, off a few days.... nothing

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Around dead or dying elms is where I find the majority of them. As said before, timing is everything.

·
Registered
274 Posts
checked my spots in southeast greene co. today. nothing there yet. looks like at any time. I may go into WV sunday and check a couple spots there if I get time.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What do you think this cold snap is going to do to the morel crop?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it will hold it back for a little while now. I was getting all excited with this rain until I saw the cold snap. I believe central PA will be looking good by mid to late next week.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
You can't go wrong by looking in stands of Tulip Poplar Trees. not saying they will be there but they do like that tree...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts