The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i found a great tula poplar stand of timber and was wondering if im in a good location to find them little rascals?
if it is do these mushrooms grow right at the base or can they be anywhere around the canopy?
will deer eat them because there are a lot of deer in this area
thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I cleaned up today! 186, the 357 is for scale. It's 6.5"

·
Registered
126 Posts
A guy told me today to look as far as 50' away. He also said that elms with the bark falling off were his favorite spots with old apple olchards being his second. I went to a very old orchard with dead elms nearby and didn't find any....

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I find most of mine around dead elm.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sometimes I find a few sometimes someone else gets there first. First rule in morel hunting--- be discrete and don't let anyone know you hunt them or they will mark where you look!!!! I spend a <span style="font-weight: bold">lot</span>of time in the woods. This year I am going to mark all dead or dying elms I see with the GPS and I will see how I do next year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yellows are up in Union cnty now just hope they dont turn to mush till i can get to them sunday after all the rain today!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I found some twice this week. 14 the other day, and about 18 today.
Managed to locate a possible dead elm, and that's where they were.
Also found some under a large old apple.
It's not easy, but rewarding when you do locate some!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
booner170 said:
What effect does the cooler weather have on them?
Cooler temps generally help them last a bit longer once they are up. Also, if a spot got too dry before the temp got right it might give it another chance. Found about25 lbs yesterday.....left some too old and some too small. Probably go check the smalls Monday or Tuesday depending on weather and wind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts