The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks. I know it's way too early to start thinking about the first finds, but I just wanted to be the first on HPA to start it off. I start thinking about those morsels as soon as the first "thaw" weather breaks the winter doldrums. I have more Turkey on my farm than you can shake a stick at. Never caught the magical Turkey Bug that so many seem to get. Those Morel's though, they consume me that first part of the spring season. While most of you hunters are after that elusive, winged, (ugly I might add) foul tasting beast, I'm after the BIGGER spring prize.
. Good luck to all "in search of". and if you need any help in finding them, I'll offer any assistance I can.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What's the best area to find them? Wooded area? North side or South side of Hills? Wet or dry? A thousand questions here... I have eaten them before and love'm! I Would like to know how to find my own. Any/all info is apprieciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I still have some "supplies" in the freezer. Need to get some of em out and onto the dinner plate.

Kaptn, I look up a hill in spring for the "green up" area. and just scour it back and forth. Sooner or later, they jump out at ya.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So what time is supper?
Thanks for the info! Im sure I walked passed many without even noticing. I'll be keeping my eyes on the ground this spring.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Kaptn,

I think you tube has some pretty good videos on finding morels. Check it out. It'll help get ya trained on what to look for.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This year will be the best morel year ever!!!!!!! super wet conditions = super HUGE morels! lots of them too! if you never done this........ this year will be easy!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I think there is some question as to how deep the ground froze (or didn't) because of the heavy snows in the SW.

I've never collected in a year like this.. so I have no clue. I hope its good tho!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm with you fleroo, could care less about them turkeys, but I will be in the woods every free minute of daylight, rain or shine, when the morels are up. I'm not sure how the gound freeze affects the morels, but I can tell you that it didn't freeze deep this year. Only a couple of inches. Snow acts as an insulator, and most of our cold weather came with a good snow cover. I dig almost every day with my job, and was surprised at how little the ground did freeze.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Fleroo said:
I have more Turkey on my farm than you can shake a stick at. Never caught the magical Turkey Bug that so many seem to get. Those Morel's though, they consume me that first part of the spring season. While most of you hunters are after that elusive, winged, (ugly I might add) foul tasting beast, I'm after the BIGGER spring prize.
. Good luck to all "in search of". and if you need any help in finding them, I'll offer any assistance I can.
I would hate to see those foul,ugly birds eat all the morels on your property. I will gladly offer my assistance of ridding you of these pests

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Kaptn,

I think you tube has some pretty good videos on finding morels. Check it out. It'll help get ya trained on what to look for.
Thanks for the tip! I did find some very good videos on youtube. Talks about both the Yellow and the Gray variety. Where to look and explains about not rushing in to pick the first one you see because you will probably end up stepping on the ones you don't.
Here's the link for anyone wondering. Hunting Morels. Its a lengthy intro but hang in there it gets to the point.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Ive found mine in wet shaded areas. You start looking by finding certain tree species which morels grow under, or off the root systems. Dead elm logs are a big one. I found a bunch last year right next to a swamp under a bunch of sycamore trees. BIG ones too. up to the size of a dollar bill in length and width! Another place to look is old abandonded apple orchards where the apple trees have over grown creating alot of shade and the "rows" between the trees have grown in. good luck and let us see your findings this spring!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Mike Brecht, if the Fr. in your handle stands for "Father", and you can put a good word in for me with the man upstairs, you'll be the first person that this year that I'll make sure finds those suckers, I need all the help I can get. haha

I'll say this. There are many distinctly different forests in our various regions of PA, so I can't speak for all of em. I will say this though, Elm and Poplar are the prevelant tree species here in the Southwest region you want to concentrate on for Morel's. In my case Elm moreso. Now when I say Elm, it's the Elm's that have been inflicted with Dutch Elm Disease. You don't want to look for the Elm with absolutely no bark on them. They are already past their Morel producing state, and if you find a mushroom on them, they will probably be the Dryad's Saddle (Pheasant Back.... YUCK). What you want to look for are the Elm's that are freshly inflicted with the disease, and have the bark starting to peel, or "slip" from the tree. You hit enough of these types of Elm, and you'll find Morel's. Of course, there is the timing of it all also. Some years they start soooner than others. It's all climate dependant. I guess if I had to pick a date to tell one to start looking, it would be the 3rd week of April. BUT, you can almost guarantee by the last week of April/first week of May, the Morel's will be there to be found. Some years are better than others for sure, but they'll be there one way or another.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was out this morn. looking for sallamanders and i found a huge stand of poplar trees. I'll be there lookin for Morels. Cant wait!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
cope said:
I was out this morn. looking for sallamanders and i found a huge stand of poplar trees. I'll be there lookin for Morels. Cant wait!
Now thats strange! I was out looking for good hunting spots for Morels in the Delaware Water Gap Ntl. Forrest and must have seen a hundred spotted salamanders!
Moving pretty slow they were.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I'm a huge fan of spotted salamanders. Figured they may have started with the warm rainy night last night. Tons of frogs on the road too.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They actually close a couple roads in my Sisters little town in the Spring so the "Peepers" can cross. Only lasts a couple days.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Migration was great. Check my pools today and the males dropped the spermatphores. Going out tonight to see if we can watch the females in action.
My buddy worked a road last night and tonight along with many volunteers in a state park road closure. They had very good numbers. We also came across many spring peepers. First rains brings bring back life!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I have a place I go to in the SW part of the state. Congresses of hundreds of males massed in a wriggling ball for hours. Its an amazing sight.

While exploring another site in the central part of the state 2 or so years ago, I found the larvae of marbled salamanders in the same vernal pool. New site for them. I was ecstatic!

So, if you find any larval salamanders in these vernal pools you guys are looking in, chances are they are marbled!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts