The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I found one little baby one all by itself today, in one of my best spots. That was in Centre Co. I'm hoping they are up by next week, and I can get some before all the turkey hunters hit the woods!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I found 2 blacks last week. I'll be out Sunday morning looking for sure.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
To dry and cold here. Every morning has been in the low 40's or 30's this week.

Need rain. None in 10 days.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Found 55 today. Got 20 on thursday. Left alot if small ones there. I hope things pick up soon. The rsmps have been up for a while but most are small. This goofy weather has everything screwed up.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
And I can tell you without a doubt what trees you were hunting when you found them.... well unless you just happened upon them.
Those are Tulip Poplar Morels. Unmistakable elogated pits in the cap.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Are you talking big old dead T poplars or any TP of any age? Have a bunch close to the house but haven't found any morels around them

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
No, not dead Tulip Polar. Live TP groves. Now Elms on the other hand, you want to find the ones RECENTLY hit with DE disease. Even Apples, you want to find the ones that are on their way out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
need help finding them, i've look all over old apple orchards,moist areas with ash and elm, and some areas with tulip poplar and nothing

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Well snow today and sleet, but I went out for a hike to one of my hot spots (Not so hot today) and found 73. All under about 5-6 old apple trees. I searched numerous dead elm, some popular and ash trees on the way there and back, but nothing.

They were easy to find as they were setting there shivering in the cold. Some of the tops were a little black...perhaps frost bite??

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Found 191 last friday. Conditions were very very dry and the weeds were 8" high making it very tough. Not gonna be a banner year here even though its early. Gonna go out this weekend again and see if the little precip helped things this past week

·
Registered
690 Posts
found 6 yesterday at work. I hope we get some rain this weekend. I am thinking a good soaker combined with some warm weather will have them coming up good.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
After some weekend rain showers i was hoping it would get some morels popping. Headed out last night only to find that the ground was still pretty dry. I know its well known to hit south facing slopes but they just seem way to dry to me. I decided what the heck i will head over the hill to the north side and what a surprise. It wasnt nearly as dry and was rewarded with the first weighable pick this year!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts