The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming soon to a woodlot near you. :wink2: In all my decades of hunting them, I only found one in March. I should have written the date, but I'm thinking it was March 23. I have a small, southern facing microclimate set of woods that ALWAYS produce early. It was a strangely warm to hot March, so I took a peak, and Voila ! That was a few years ago.

It's all weather depending, but I don't really start taking vacation to actively hunt Morels until about April 20.

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
Hope it is a better year this year in my area. I walked several places last year that produced well over the last couple of decades but it was mostly just a walk.....

I usually start finding them by the numbers around the last week of April and the first week of May. However, as soon as others are reporting good finds I will be out there.

I also need to find a good way to carry them when I am turkey hunting as my vest if full of decoys, gear and a folding seat and hopefully a big gobbler as I walk out of the woods sometimes a couple of miles or so of unfriendly senior terrain.

I need to find some more good areas as some of my banner locations have aged out of being productive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Hope it is a better year this year in my area. I walked several places last year that produced well over the last couple of decades but it was mostly just a walk.....

I usually start finding them by the numbers around the last week of April and the first week of May. However, as soon as others are reporting good finds I will be out there.

I also need to find a good way to carry them when I am turkey hunting as my vest if full of decoys, gear and a folding seat and hopefully a big gobbler as I walk out of the woods sometimes a couple of miles or so of unfriendly senior terrain.

I need to find some more good areas as some of my banner locations have aged out of being productive.

Good luck.

I had the same thing around me last year. Most of the trees I found them around didn't have them last year because of the goofy weather. As for carrying them, an onion or orange sack folds up pretty small in your pocket and you can clip or tie it to a belt loop when its full.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you come across Morels on a Turkey Hunt, dump all contents from your Turkey Vest on the ground and fill vest with Morel's. Go back for vest content at a later date. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts