The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets report our findings throughout the state. This will give us a better timeframe 'when' to look.
Am sure you southern tier counties will start first as we progress into the northern counties.
What County?
What Date?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you look at Morels.com pa message boards, they are starting to find them in Westmoreland and some of the other southern counties this week.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Its still too cold here in Mercer Co. Got to get those soil temps up to at least 50 degrees. I checked my honey hole last night and there's nothing yet. Speaking of soil temps, here's a pretty good resource here.....

Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Got some reports of blacks starting in SW PA. Few in Cambria also.

Need a warm spell. Gonna be a late season. Recent years, the season has been essentially over here in extreme SW PA, by 27-28 of April, due to extreme heat.

I know that decades ago, May 5-15, was the norm for gathering the nice yellows. That hasn't been the recent norm though...... well regarding extreme SW PA anyhow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lets report our findings throughout the state. This will give us a better timeframe 'when' to look.
Am sure you southern tier counties will start first as we progress into the northern counties.
What County?
What Date?
I checked my spots in Allegheny county on Wednesday and they weren't out yet. The cold spell likely pushed things back. Weather looks good after today so they should start popping in the next week.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I was out looking a bit yesterday. Still a no go here in Mercer Co.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
keep looking the jackpot will be hit the end of next week!!!!!happy morel hunting...

I can almost guarantee, the end of next week will spell the start of the Yellows. If extreme heat stats away, we can pick yellers perhaps past the 10th for the first time in a good while here in SW PA.

NC PA, yellows may go to like the 20th. Late, Late, Late.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My mushroom hunting partner and I are going out Sunday. If anything, we'll get a walk through and dial in where all the best potential spots will be.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My buddy and I went out for a few hours Sunday. He found one half free morel. This weekend should be really good around here. Temps are going to be in the high 70's with some more rain forecasted.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
It's on in SW PA. Found about 40 greys and small yellers in Wash Co. Just starting, and as predicted, late. This weekend should be about peak yonder here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Found 3 today in union county. About ran them over with the mower. I left this one go so it'll get a bit bigger. It was about 20 feet off of rt 15. Never saw one in this spot before in all the years I've mowed this place.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
They're starting to show here in northumberland co...went to my 1st early spot and my 1st find of the year on 4/20 was all shriveled up today...did find about 15 new ones that I left.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Out turkey hunting this morning and found a few yellows...just as good as getting a turkey...usually pick blacks before yellows...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
northern Snyder County... (Yellows) just started showing Thursday. Checked the past two days and still growing plus more. Only saw two small Blacks. May start picking some Monday.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow you guys are ahead of us further west. I just checked one of my go to spots again this weekend, and nothing as of yet. I’m hoping this week into this weekend they start.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Checked all my spots in Washington County this morning. Nothing up yet!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts