The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they even grow in Potter County? I don't eat mushrooms and never will but I'm just wondering because I have never heard of anyone looking for them until I got on this website.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I didn't think there were any in Northumberland County...Found my first one this morning while turkey hunting...It was all shriveled up though, but now I know where to look.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my cousin found some giant ones several years ago in the front yard of his cabin along little kettle creek in trout season.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Found some in Tioga County a couple years ago.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
I haven't hunted Morel's in every county of PA, but it just wouldn't be sensible to think they are not found in every county. Some counties of course are better than others. Here in the Southwest we have Elm's. If you have them up there, they are probably sparse. Too sparse to target for Morel's. That said, you have to have Ash and Poplar up there somewhere. Target them, get the knack, and you'll consistently find them. Should be close to prime in the northern tier, as we are on the back end down here.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really interested in finding them, mushrooms are gross.
I just found it strange that non of the old timers around here look for them. Especially the way they look for leeks.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
After meeting and learning from an "ol timer" morel hunter here in central PA today- bet they've been finding dem tastey shurrooms der fur yeers. Dey just dunt say much abut it. I bethca... not dat dis info will help ya-- just sayin..
ya gotta put in some work...

Still working on the leeks- but think I've found many and just don't know what they look like to be sure.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
I just found it strange that non of the old timers around here look for them. Especially the way they look for leeks.
Trust me partner. There's alot of history, lore, and passed on traditions in them mountains where you live. There's plenty of folks within earshot of you that are gathering mushrooms.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, most of the guys who look for them are more secretive than musky fishermen (lol)! I know why now. If you're lucky enough to get tips from a pro remember them well, but the best thing to do is get out and find your own spots with them and then keep your mouth shut about them, because you could be talking to a shroomer and not even know it (lol)! When you find them remember what the area looks like and find other areas like it. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts