The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found these today. they are pretty small and kind of gnarled but i think the are yellow morels. i've seen picts of yellows but have only ever found blacks, half frees and grays. i'm going to check back in a few days to see if they have morphed a bit more into something morel-like. what do the experts on here think?

and finally, i found some ramps. only 1 bunch though and i looked all over after finding these. man were they tasty/.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would say those are not morels.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Yup, I think you're right. They look exactly like the one's you posted.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Those are false morels, here's a pic of one I took several days ago.....good side is pickable size Blacks almost always show-up in the same area as False morels just about a week or so later.....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks thats what i'm hoping for too. i'll be back in that area on sunday to check. its a shame those are poisonous because they are all over the place. and they are really easy to spot unlike the blacks that you sometimes have to step on to see. i will pick a big false morel and do a crossection and post the pics. from my research it looks like the stem will not be hollow but will be filled with a fibrous sort of membrane. now if i can just find some more of those ramps i would be happy. even my picky 14 y/o liked them and thats saying something. heading to camp in bedford county this afternoon and will be doing some mushroom and ramp hunting down there too.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Apparently there actually is a way to eat them. It's some complicated cooking process that makes them not poisonous, but I don't know that I'd try it myself. They're a delicacy in Finland.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Any of you guys finding Morels yet? I was out this morning checking my best spots. Didn't find a thing. I'm thinking maybe another week or 2 before their up.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Definitely false morel. We call them "Beefsteaks". Edible to some, while they make others very sick. All depends on your body make-up I guess. DO NOT try and see which of those body types you have.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Any of you guys finding Morels yet?
Took my first look yesterday in one spot that is an early spot. The grey's are just starting. They're about 1". By weeks end should be able to pick some grey's, but my guess is the end of next week will be prime.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Found 15 dark ones today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts