The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been out looking yet?

From other reports online, it looks like they are just starting to pop up in the southern part of the state.

Also, does anyone have any tricks for identifying elm trees?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Elms are the only "vase" shaped tree, the trunk goes up and then branches into a wine glass shape. Look for standing dead elms, they're easy to notice when the bark starts to fall off. I've always found them near dead elms, either the tops of the hills or benches where they get morning sun.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Looked the other day near my favorite elms in armstrong county. Nothing yet. There is the american elm and the slippery elm. Look for the slippery elm. They are the first to seed. Look for flat disc shaped seed pods. Bark reminds me of a white ash tree. Leaves are usually dark on the slippery elm. I can drive down the road and look for the dark leaves the confirm by the bark or seedpods. Trees grow near water or in low lands. Also look around old crab apple tree or apple orchards. Dead or dying trees are prime. Under these trees you will usually find the big yellows. The smaller black ones are usually found near tulip trees. Here is two videos of my morel hunting over the years.
#1 http://youtu.be/fDzRwSl3VYk
#2 http://youtu.be/k-BPK6O8WQI ..be sure to look at the second video near the middle of the video to see some big ones!
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
274 Posts
found a couple in green county last week. this week should start to be good. need a good thunderstorm to throw some nitrogen strikes across the ground.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Was out this past Saturday on the border of Washington and Greene. Nothing yet in my areas.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My Son and I were out 4/28 and found 7 about an inch in height around a dead tree in Southern Centre Couny. That same tree produced 19 grays last year. This rain will really help.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Found 90 today in Jefferson Hills. Didnt wonder far at all. Ill be back out in the am to check on some new spots in the area.

·
Registered
274 Posts
found 81 in southern greene county. the pic with the two inside
the tire was a gag to my wifes uncle. took him for the first time last week. he found his first by some old tires over a bank and said "oh I know where to find them, they grow by old tires". so we sent him a pic and told him they grew inside them too. they probably would but we put those two in there.http://rs112.pbsrc.com/albums/n185/johndspkfreebird/DSCN1421_zps71b369ad.jpg~c200http://rs112.pbsrc.com/albums/n185/johndspkfreebird/DSCN1426_zps11c2c994.jpg~c200

·
Registered
274 Posts
well my pics didn't make it. i joined photobucket. copied and paste but didn't work. where can i find how to post pics. i tried the FAQ thanks

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
After you upload to photo bucket you just put your curser on the photo you want to copy, a drop down will appear click on show links, then right click on the last link and you will see copied , then go to where you want to post and right click and then click on paste.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I found instructions from back in 2010 posted by JD3. that's what I went by, but the drop down box was different then, I finally figured it out. the way you just explained about that box over to the right. thanks by the way, we found a little over 80 morels that day. getting ready to have a plate full now.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Freeebird said:

couple hours later I think I got it
I have been looking for these little fellows and haven't found any yet this year. I'm in the far northern part of the state and the trees are a little bit behind where they were last year when I found morels. Have the trees near you leafed out yet?

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
79inpa... yes, it is behind this year, especially compared to recent past years. Last year, with the early heat onset, I found a Morelon March 26, in my earlierst of spots. Never found one prior to April 12 before last year. It's well behind comparatively this year. SW PA recently, the Yellows have been done, gone, rotten by end of first week of May.

I found a sack full yesterday in about 3 hours of hunting. Approx. 150, I'd say 4-5 lbs. Was surprised at the size of most of the yellows, large. Not what we call the monster yellows, but some 6" and rotund. Go get 'em in SW PA right now.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
79inpa, yes still too early up here. I'm just below you near Scranton. Take a look at the forcast. The warmer temps day and night plus the showers this weekend should put us right where we need to be. The soil temp has just been so slow to warm up this year since we've been having nights dipping into the 30's.

I'm going to try to poke around a bit Monday after work. Or this weekend if theres breaks in the rain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts