The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gray, Black or baby Yellow?

Brought it home to sit in the window sill till it gets large enough to eat in more than just one bite.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I am not an expert but it looks like a small blonde or yellow.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thanks. Hopefully it will grow in the small pot I put in the kitchen window. There's about 30 others all growing along a big decaying Poplar branch. Only an inch to an inch and a half tall now.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
That's a small yellow. I've seen them not grow, especially in Poplar areas, and being you broke the mycellium, there's a good chance that's all it's gonna do. Can always tell the Polar Yellows from the Elm, Apple, Ash Yellows, as their "pits" take on a more elongated, or oval appearance.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. It's in a pot with a small half free. The Yellow is 2" and the HF is 3" now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always called them poplar morels. The ones I have found around poplars in my area never get much bigger than that. I have left them go for a week or more in ideal conditions and they get about 3-4 inches and thats it. Good eating though non the less!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That one is 2" in the picture. It's growing. I just measured it and it grew 1/2" already since I took the pic.

My experience around here with Poplars is the Morels get about 4-5" high and about 1 1/2" around at the stem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts