The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ready for spring? I've had enough winter. This Spring will begin my first season hunting for edible mushrooms. Looking forward to it. I've never paid mushrooms much attention over the years. I have identified several edible species in the past but this year is the first I plan to collect some. Starting with the elusive morel. I remember a few patches I would see in the spring fishing and scouting turkeys back home a few hours away. These patches I saw were 15 years ago or more. I might take the drive out and check it out again but I'd like to locate some closer to home.

I can remember the most morels I saw were in an old apple orchard on my grandmothers farm. Old and overgrown, lots of brush and dead trees down. Now the land I have to hunt for them now has no apples, but hundreds of acres of oak. Both red and white but mostly white. Anyone ever have luck finding them in the Oaks? Or should I start my hunting farther down the mountain along the brook. Seems brushier down there with more maple and ash?

Not looking for anyones hot spots or secrets, just a few tips.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I had the will power to save some backstraps. They are long gone. Nothing but burger, stew, and speedie chunks left.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Helped me make a game plan. I'll still try to get out to the old orchard once this spring once I find some around here. As far as closer to home I have a long stretch of brook that I know has ash, hopefully some elm that I will start with this spring.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alpine4d said:
Ive had morels on the brain for the last 2 weeks. Ive located a bunch of new ground that looks prime. My goal is 2000 this year. I have a local restaurant that is interested in some poundage so i may sell some off this year.
I just want them for my own cooking, but you got me wondering. How much do they pay for them?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How do you guys know when to pick them (As far as size)? Say you find a load that are 2 or 3 inches tall. Do you pick them then or come back the next day? or another day? How big is too big and better left behind?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.