The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Typically they are found around Poplar, Ash, old Apple, and by far my very favorite and most productive, Elm hit by Dutch Elm Disease.

I'd stay out of the Oak forests in spring, but keep them in mind for Chanterelles in early July, and Hens in the fall.

I'd rather hunt Morels than any game species.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Steve, Mid-April is TYPICALLY early for the big yellows, but normally you can find the greys starting about then. Blacks around then also, and even a bit sooner at times.
Last year was remarkable how early it was. Definitley not the norm, and I found my first in an early spot on March 22 or 25th ? Never found one in March before. If I took an average over all my years, I'd say her in the SW PA, April 24 to May 3 or so is the best and most productive time. Seems after Cinco De Mayo, it is just too hot down here, and the mushrooms are big and old.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
I pretty much pick them all when I come across them. I never leave anything to chance.

You'll know when they've exceeded their freshness by looking at them and/or smelling them. Browned out, or soggy/slimy isn't good. Has nothing to do with the size of them.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Absolutely. Been at this game for quite some time. You gain a "feel" for things as winter wanes and spring starts to take hold. The easiest to predict is when things will start. What's hard to predict without the season being underway, is whether the harvest will yield lare amounts or not. That is generally determined by in-season (once it starts) weather patterns. The unseasonable heat we've been having, dry and temps. in the 80's, will kill a season as soon as it starts. And with Morel's, there ain't no second chance. The second chance you get is either travel north to hit the "migration" north, or wait til next year.

I'll give you boys a heads-up soon.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
If you can find a vented mesh bag that doesn't act as a cheese-grater, all the better, but, I'm not a big advocate of having to use mesh in order to propagate the spores. If you think about it, a single mushroom has millions of spores. The wind blows and the spores are carried, it rains and spores are deposited, etc... Morel websites promote mesh bags to spread spores, but the bigger intent is for them to sell you a real, true mushroom bag
... Google the "Spore Boy" bag.

When in the woods, my foremost concern is protecting what I harvest. Morels, by their very nature, are fairly fragile. My choice as a carrying pouch is a light canvas pack with straps (hands free) with a couple vents. This allows some breathability, but more importantly, protects the harvest from briars, banging trees/limbs, etc.. Be a shame to take a harvest home and find most in a crumbled state. Plastic bags = BAD due to the mushrooms sweating, but if thats all you got, have at it.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Haven't been out yet, but Blacks and early greys should be up about now.

Steve, can't remember if you are a novice or a seasoned vet, but if you need some tips in your woods on where to find them, I can definitely swing over and we can take a stroll. PM me.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Not cyclic. They are up every spring, and only spring. At what time during the spring they show depends on quite a few things.

17 years. You're thinking of Locust's.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Went out about 1 hr on Saturday, and about 1 hr on Sunday. They are up and started in extreme sW PA anyhow. Harvested somewhere around 150 greys, maybe 5 small yellows, between 1 1/2" and 3" or so, and left that many more due to being very small. All around the Elm's with a nice group being around one old Apple. Can't speak for the rest of PA, but go get em in SW PA. Haven't found a Black since i hit a large flush 2 years ago.

For what it's worth, these were all found in proven past years spots.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
peep site said:
You don't want a watch it,what good is that goin to do.Call you doctor and see if he will give you a prescrition for Doxycycline or Amoxicillin this will take care of it if its lyme disease,doesn't cost that much if you have insurance.
Its is called OVER USE of ANTIBIOTICS WHEN NOT NEEDED! And also as you say
doesn't cost that much if you have insurance
OVER USE OF HEALTH INSURANCE THAT UPS THE COST FOR OTHERS!

It is called Common Sense which Many LACK!

Some Run to the Emergency Room and Tie up the Emergency Room Doctor (that should be Handling EMERGENCIES)for a Tick Bite that can be taken care of by a Regular Doctor or a Clinic Doctor!

OVER USE OF ANTIBIOTICS, is WHY we are seeing Antibiotic Resistant Germs!

If it is NOT needed, It is NOT Needed and Should NOT Be used and be the First thing Done!

HUNDREDS of Ticks embedded in me BEFORE I found out about the Permithrin Mix some years back, only 1 ONE Time did my Doctor put me on Antibiotics and that was NOT due to Fear of Lyme Disease, it was She felt the Bite Area was Infected and was going to get Worse!
A Good 50 Lyme Disease Tests since the late 90s and NO Positive Test!

Lyme Disease CAN be Cured Easily WITHOUT the OVER USE of Antibiotics IF the Person who was Bit Keeps Track of How they Feel and Blood Tests are done 2 weeks after finding the Tick! <<<<----- But THAT would Mean 1 would have to Take Responsibility for them self and keep Tract of their health, Can Not Expect them to do that in this day and age!!!

Majority of Lyme Disease Cases are those who NEVER seen the Tick on them and NEVER knew they had been bitten by a tick!

To Many People and To MANY Doctors Shove the Antibiotic Pills down their or Patients throats when a Tick is on the Person, Due to FEAR and NOT Doing what a Doctor should do to keep the Antibiotic resistant Germs from coming about, Observe by the Patient of Symptoms and Area of the Bite!!

And the Tick Basically Needs to be in for 36 hours for it to Feed to the point it over fills itself then starts secreting the blood back in, which is then when the Lyme Spore is passed into the host!
Majority of People only have the tick in them for LESS THEN 12 Hours, NO NEED then for Antibiotics, But Fear Fear Fear Patients and Fear Fear Fear Doctors, Shove the Antibiotics down their Throats!

I'm GLAD my Family Doctor is NOT 1 of these Doctors that Bows to FEAR and Does it the Way things should be done instead of Shoving the pills down her Patients Throats!
Fer crin put loud, relax a little eh. Your OVER-reaction by regarding tick bites as something that should basically be dismissed is ludicrous. Lyme's is serious. I have friends (2) that at times, become incapacitated from the effects of the disease. One, for months, suffering temporary paralysis and dizziness for months before being diagnosed, and she is STILL in bad shape. Was to the point she had to have walking assistance by using a walker. Consulting medical advice during, or after a tick is embedded in your body for a period of time, and getting on a treatment regime, is not being sissified, or stupid, as your irrational post makesit out to be. Consulting medical professionals (not a internet screenname) for such a matter, is not the same as running to the ER for symptoms of a common cold. Try easing up on the tough guy stuff why don't ya.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
I guess I should guide things back to topic, and say that this is the best morel season in many years here, and I've had a few good one's recently. Get out and get them. The Yellows are perfect now, and with the shots of rain, and no scorching heat, the season should extend a bit longer than recent years. I actually stopped picking last night because I felt bad that a partner of mine couldn't make it, so I saved him a good load.
Go get em.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.