The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone around the York area want to help me understand what I'm looking for. I know the elm,tulip,old apple orchard but I'm looking for someone that can explain more exactly. Usually when I find them I stumble across them while turkey hunting, but I want to be able to look at an area and say they should be over there.
I am not looking to take someones spots, just want help finding my own.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
suskyducker said:
Anyone around the York area want to help me understand what I'm looking for. I know the elm,tulip,old apple orchard but I'm looking for someone that can explain more exactly. Usually when I find them I stumble across them while turkey hunting, but I want to be able to look at an area and say they should be over there.
I am not looking to take someones spots, just want help finding my own.
Thanks

The answer is when you find Morels while hunting Turkey take a few minutes and study the area where they are....take note of the type soil, terrian, rocky, and if there is any indication of the soil being disturbed in any manner. Morels will often fruit in recently disturbed soil, or under a damaged or dying tree, often right next to compacted soil, be it man made like a loggers road or just an ATV trail or caused just by the weight of a fallen tree trunk. Where they fruit is the easy part to learn, why and when they fruit is the million dollar question.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hard to say where and what area they'll be in. I have spots that have produced bags full only to find that over the next couple years those spots never produced any. Then 3 years later.... BOOM there they were.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
The answer is when you find Morels while hunting Turkey take a few minutes and study the area where they are
Wrong answer. The TRUE answer is, you mark the area, call Fleroo, and he will tell you why they WERE there. You'll have to find out for yourself if they are STILL there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts