The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was getting ready to leave for my summer/fall in NC last week and remembered i needed to send my TC lock back for repair/updating....my sear wore somehow and my hammer is VERY unsafe...

it also has the old style hammer and eats flints for breakfast and is finicky about spark..

called once and they said check the flint and frizzen blah blah...didnt know that most guys just ship them straight to them and dont call and get a new lock back..

so, i wrote a letter explaining the hammer situation the the lock issue...

i forget what day i shipped it..but it was within the last 2 weeks for sure...

mom called me today and asked what i ordered coming from Fedex as they want someone to sign for it and left a note...it has to be that lock...pretty sure the site said it would be shipped back Fedex...

i cant believe the turn around!! im thrilled!

now, to get mom to take a pic so i can see if it IS new, and get dad to put it in the stock and make sure it fits when it comes and i'll be set...hopefully...i cant see TC not sending a new lock to me as the hammer sear was worn and the gun actually accidentally fired on me this winter...scared the heck out of me..thankfully it was pointed in a safe direction like it should have been...

just wanted to share as i know personally i had a little bit of worries since they were recently "bought out" or...whatever happened with them...

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
it should be a new lock and not your old repaired lock....most likely they just junked your old one and sent a new one, that's all i've ever heard them do and what they did to two of mine.........bob

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Congrats! Don't know how you pulled that off. I just got off the phone with them yesterday. The barrel I sent them, that they received on 6 April, still hasn't even been looked at. Said average wait time is 6-8 weeks just to get something looked at.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Easy to send a lock to them and have them grab a new one off the shelf and send it to you.No phone calls needed.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes I had a week turn around on a lock and it was rebuilt with a new hammer.Super fast for locks.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noone was hurt...i could see the drivers coming off to my right and seen the deer jump in the thicket like always sending them running right to me...i was at a telephone pole in a field they cross right past..i wasnt 10000% ready to shoot but got the gun settled where they were coming and cracked the hammer back...when i let go of the hammer it fell instantly...i KNOW it clicked in..i heard and felt it or i would have never left it go...and i KNOW my fingers were nowhere near the triggers and know my set trigger wasnt set...

i KNEW all that but, after that, i got the gun to do it again a few more times..and if it didnt do it itself, you could EASILY push on the hammer and make it fall..

someone will be home monday to pick it up hopefully...im in NC for about 6 months so i wont get to put it on or test it or see it or anything till fall/winter sometime..

·
Banned
900 Posts
Had as screw broke off in the frizzen. They sent whole new lock. Glad I took out the flint!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I always had good luck with T/C. They replaced a cracked stock for me in 12 days turnaround time about 3 years ago.
A good American company with lifetime service.

·
Registered
695 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
worn sear, screw broken in hammer, cracked stocks, old bad geometry locks, soft frizzens.........

almost sounds like foreign junk.
I bet you were the kid who just had to throw rocks at the hornets nest

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
No just pointing out that I am amazed at the number of folks who think TC's crap don't stink because they get replacement parts, yet if their car or truck was designed with the same overall percentage of flaws and was down two weeks for replacement parts they would be screaming "Lemon."

What percentage of Savage-Stevens, Winchester's Remingtons, Marlins or Mossbergs ever needed warranty repairs with as little use as TC flinters?

I will say that I am amazed that TC still so easily honors the life time warranty. It has got to cost them a fortune. They do get my respect for that. Heck, when my Honda Civic had a computer problem at 89,000 miles, the dealership replaced/repaired it for free. I was impresssed by that too. Think about how many times a piston goes up and down in a cylinder and fires just in a mile of travel. How many TC flinter's have been fired that many times. How many of any flinter get fired that many times. Yet if your car engine cylinder pooped out withing 500,000 firings, you would be really PO'd.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The cracked stock was my fault, not a bad design by t/c, but they fixed it. If you stand on any firing line, you will see shooters with custom guns having trouble, it is just the way it is with muzzleloaders.

Thompson Center guns allowed most of us to get our start in muzzleloading when we could not afford or find reasonablely priced guns to shoot. Many won't admit it but they probabily started with a t/c, and then moved onto custom guns when they became available.

Now it is 2010, and Smith and Wesson owns Thompson Center and there will be no more side hammer muzzleloaders from T/C. They stoped production and closed down the custom shop, the end of an era. Soon the spare parts will run out, so if you have one get your parts now.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
WHAT!!!!! I was really dissapointed when they called me in April and cancelled my Custom shop order for my new Renny.They said they were restructering and that they wouldn,t be doing any more traditionals out of the Custom shop till possibly fall later this year.They said nothin about closin the shop and doin away with sidelocks.The lady told me the Custom shop was currently workin on Encore barrels.So are you sayin no more new Hawkins and such?Please say that ain,t so.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Plus on another note.Just ignore peoples ignorance and jealously when all they got to do is post negative comments.All they want to do is ruffle your feathers.It,s how some people get their jollies I guess.Just ignore their jealously,cause that,s all it is.

·
Registered
695 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
No just pointing out that I am amazed at the number of folks who think TC's crap don't stink because they get replacement parts, yet if their car or truck was designed with the same overall percentage of flaws and was down two weeks for replacement parts they would be screaming "Lemon."

What percentage of Savage-Stevens, Winchester's Remingtons, Marlins or Mossbergs ever needed warranty repairs with as little use as TC flinters?

I will say that I am amazed that TC still so easily honors the life time warranty. It has got to cost them a fortune. They do get my respect for that. Heck, when my Honda Civic had a computer problem at 89,000 miles, the dealership replaced/repaired it for free. I was impresssed by that too. Think about how many times a piston goes up and down in a cylinder and fires just in a mile of travel. How many TC flinter's have been fired that many times. How many of any flinter get fired that many times. Yet if your car engine cylinder pooped out withing 500,000 firings, you would be really PO'd.
Not saying I dont agree with you But you just got to poke the bear every chance you get.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Well stated, Nessmuk. Like you and many, I took the flintlock plunge with a second-hand TC Hawken. It was right-handed, and I'm left-handed, and it wasn't a smooth-sailing marriage! I could shoot it accurately off the bench, but give me an off-hand shot at a whitetail, and my last sight after the smoke cleared was a waving white flag, disappearing, unharmed, in the distance! I NEVER killed a deer with that rifle, and I don't think I even scared one!

But, my fascination with flintlocks began with that Thompson Center Hawken. The poor shooting and missed deer simply fired the desire to up-grade as personal economics improved. Now, we enjoy venison from time to time.

I say, God Bless Thompson Center and their American make flintlocks. They opened a very special door for many of us. I regret hearing that these rifles will no longer be in production.

In my mind, this only solidifies the importance of maintaining Pennsylvania's, LAST-OF-ITS-KIND, Flintlock Season! This season has never been about advancing forward to more and more technological, tricked-out, deer-harvesting products. Our Flintlock Season remains an attempt to move backward to more and more traditional time with accurate reproductions of rifled guns and smoothbores used 200 to 250 years ago. Harvesting a whitetail has always been a pleasant, but secondary achievement.

The folks who brought us Thompson Center sidelock firearms are to be commended. I feel we would be shocked to know how many TC flintlocks live inside our borders!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if iam not mistaken didnt we have this debate on T/C before i thought we all agreed that T/C has a good warrinty but build guns that always need ome type of repair

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Compared to what,a Lyman and a Traditions.Good cheap starter guns but no way near the quality of T/C.Not everyone wants to go the custom route.Alot of us also like factory carbines style,not rifles a hundred miles long.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts