The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve seen way more fawns this year than any other year.
I've only seen one! It was earlier than I typically start seeing them, so I thought I'd bee seeing more, sooner. Now it's later than I typically start seeing them, and still waiting to see a second fawn. This one was tiny, as small as I can remember seeing a fawn.

Come to think of it, I've also seen within the past two weeks some other recently-born animals that looked too small to be about without mama. Skunks, a fox, and a pair of raccoons. The first batch of turkey poults I saw (although they were with two hens), 14 of them, were barely taller than the grass.

This is my 5th spring on my property, been watching the same piebald doe the whole time. Last year was the first I saw her with a fawn (It was normal-colored). She's been hanging around the same area at all times of day recently, so I'm thinking this is her safe area and she's expecting to birth soon. I'm hoping for a white one this year!

Fawns seem to do well here. I've never seen sign of one that didn't make it, and usually see 2-3 does with the same number of their fawns from spring to fall.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In this area, a bobcat, fisher, or bear would be unusual. Coyotes are fairly common and big enough to carry that head around so that's my guess.

I saw a coyote carrying a turkey egg once. Watched it for 10 minutes and it had that egg in it's mouth the whole time. Dropped it when it saw me and ran.

·
Super Moderator
26,451 Posts
I came across one yesterday, except the murderer was an automobile.
I saw one the other day, dead on the I-83 bridge over the Susky in Harrisburg. It was about halfway across the bridge too, got to wonder why it was there and how it got so far without getting hit sooner.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm in the southeast corner of Mercer County and haven't seen a fawn yet. I do see two different bears and had a fisher come into a turkey call first day.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Saw the first one of the year on Saturday while wade fishing a river. It was on a little island in the middle & jumped as i worked my way to the end of the island. Never would have seen it if it hadnt jumped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts