The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some more pictures from earlier today. These are the Bald Eagles nesting in Hays, PA.

Just watching the construction behind me.

Flying off towards the river.

Coming back about 10 mins later

Preening

Watching the train go by below

Preparing for takeoff!!

And we're off!!

Both eagles on the nest

Taking off for the river again.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
those are some really nice shots!! Very cool to see Bald Eagles nesting within a stones throw of the skyscrapers of the Burgh!!

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Great shots, I'm going to try and get down there either tomorrow or Friday morning. It would be great to get a pic of one flying with the city in the background.

I've been looking out our office window a lot now hoping to see one fly near town.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far they've been flying too high to get the city in the background. They're VERY cooperative for pictures though. I know they've been flying up and down the river a lot, not sure how far they go though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I live on the border of west mifflin and Lincoln place. I drive by there everyday on my way to the gym. Ill see him rolling around there. His nest is like a volts wagon. Lol. Actually going down 885 before you hit Carson there's another big nest on the hillside. Wondering if its another eagles nest.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I can understand your excitement and your photos are really nice,however I hope Beth has posted a restricted area around the nest site. With too much disturbance there is a good chance they will abandon the nest.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ancient indian said:
I can understand your excitement and your photos are really nice,however I hope Beth has posted a restricted area around the nest site. With too much disturbance there is a good chance they will abandon the nest.
You can't get any closer than about 150 yards. If you look on google earth and find the Three Rivers Heritage Trail that's where everyone is viewing them from. There is a set of railroad tracks, east carson street, and another set of railroad tracks between us and the eagles. There is a construction site next to the trail as well, so the workers keep an eye out for anyone trying to cause trouble for the eagles. A camera with a decent zoom comes in handy for pictures too!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigherm21 said:
I live on the border of west mifflin and Lincoln place. I drive by there everyday on my way to the gym. Ill see him rolling around there. His nest is like a volts wagon. Lol. Actually going down 885 before you hit Carson there's another big nest on the hillside. Wondering if its another eagles nest.
It might be a hawk nest. I know the eagles that were nesting in Harmar took over an old red-tail nest, last i heard the hawks had taken the nest back though.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Great pics!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts