The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a friends place today helping plant rye, oats, peas, etc. Took a couple pics of the brassica we seeded about a month ago. Looking pretty nice. The critters will enjoy all this come fall.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That is a thick stand... You'll have to let us know when you first see the deer hitting that plot and your other brassica plot. Will be interesting for us to all compare our experiences.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one very small plot that has been wiped out already. I've planted brassicas in that spot for the last 4-5 years, and they rarely let it get much above 4 inches or so. Never understood that. Its in a clearcut with plenty of food, but they like it for some reason.

I suspect the plot above will get hammered come mid October? It had soybeans in it this summer but they got totally wiped out, not even a stem left.

The pic with the guys boot in it was a Roundup Ready soybean plot that we sprayed with Roundup the other week and just brodacast brassica in to it. The soybeans that were left have since been browsed off.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
My brassicas in the past have been hit anywhere from early Nov to early Dec but my plots are in southern Bedford County near the MD line.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a mix from Welter seed.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
WHere are all the stumps, rocks and overhanging trees??? ....

That looks incredible Dutch!!!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This field was bulldozed out of an autumn olive thicket a few years ago.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
speaking of autumn olive,kicked 9 grouse out of one bush/tree which was loaded with berries.I'm looking foreward to grouse season.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try to find the exact mix he used. I have it on an email somewhere.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the mix that was in that field. Total ordered was 80 lbs, but you can figure out the percentages from this recipe:

> Welter Seed Co

> http://www.welterseed.com/productItems.aspx?id=3&org=0

1#/ac Bonar Rape Seed @ $2.70/# 10#
> 1#’/ac Pasja Hybrid FB @ $3.10 per # 10#
> 1#’/ac Purple Top Turnips @ $2.85 per # 10#
> 1#’ac Dwarf Essex Rape @ $2.00 per # 10#
> 0.5#/ac Appin Forage [email protected] $3.10 per # 5#
> 0.5#/ac Barkant Forage [email protected] $2.90 per # 5#

> Also, oilseed radishes @ 3#/ac 30#

---ALL MIXED AND SHIPPED VIA “SPEEDEE”---

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This plot was hit with serious equipment. I chisel plowed it and then we ran a 6 ft tiller over it. Cultipacked it, spread seed and then cultipacked it again.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the flip side, this plot in the pic below was disced with a $10 old farm disc I pulled behind my atv and the seed was spread, and cultipacked in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts