The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a friends place today helping plant rye, oats, peas, etc. Took a couple pics of the brassica we seeded about a month ago. Looking pretty nice. The critters will enjoy all this come fall.

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one very small plot that has been wiped out already. I've planted brassicas in that spot for the last 4-5 years, and they rarely let it get much above 4 inches or so. Never understood that. Its in a clearcut with plenty of food, but they like it for some reason.

I suspect the plot above will get hammered come mid October? It had soybeans in it this summer but they got totally wiped out, not even a stem left.

The pic with the guys boot in it was a Roundup Ready soybean plot that we sprayed with Roundup the other week and just brodacast brassica in to it. The soybeans that were left have since been browsed off.

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the mix that was in that field. Total ordered was 80 lbs, but you can figure out the percentages from this recipe:

> Welter Seed Co

> http://www.welterseed.com/productItems.aspx?id=3&org=0

1#/ac Bonar Rape Seed @ $2.70/# 10#
> 1#’/ac Pasja Hybrid FB @ $3.10 per # 10#
> 1#’/ac Purple Top Turnips @ $2.85 per # 10#
> 1#’ac Dwarf Essex Rape @ $2.00 per # 10#
> 0.5#/ac Appin Forage [email protected] $3.10 per # 5#
> 0.5#/ac Barkant Forage [email protected] $2.90 per # 5#

> Also, oilseed radishes @ 3#/ac 30#

---ALL MIXED AND SHIPPED VIA “SPEEDEE”---

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This plot was hit with serious equipment. I chisel plowed it and then we ran a 6 ft tiller over it. Cultipacked it, spread seed and then cultipacked it again.

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the flip side, this plot in the pic below was disced with a $10 old farm disc I pulled behind my atv and the seed was spread, and cultipacked in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.