The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lived off Moose three Winters. It's awesome at first but it gets old. You can only give away so much
Yes it does. Most all of mine gets smoked and gets ate up. Moose burgers mixed with beef fat are good, but they get old as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
I got moose for ten years in a row….I never kept a pound of deer meat during that time. Took me a year or two to get used to venison after eating moose.

I have a house cat that went berserk when you thawed out moose steak. It wouldn’t leave the kitchen, meowed the whole time. It loved raw moose meat. Won’t eat a piece of venison….doesn’t care about beef…only moose.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never had moose but my neighbor gave me a pound of ground meat and I wanted to try some burgers Any suggestions on how to prepare and cook it
If it is straight MM, it will be very lean and likes to fall apart on the grill, however it is still good. just cook it the way you would cook any other burger. I don't "spice" mine up any, just salt and pepper.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I wish, but no. Left over from 3 years ago.
Wow! I'm surprised it's still good. I've never had Moose meat make it one year. But like I said, when I'd get one we would live off it. The one I shot was a 9 1/2 year old Bull. When I dropped it off at the butcher he said "just make sure you come get it, I don't want to have to eat it". He then said "now if it was a 500 pound Cow I'd be happy to be stuck with it". Very next Moose I killed was a 554 pound Cow and I got to see what he was talking about!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Years ago, a buddy gave us two backstrap Moose roasts about 3 lbs. each. I looked in all my game cook books but could not find a decent recipe so I did my default- grilled over charcoal- bowl of melted butter on the side with onion in it. Every time I turned the roast I'd paint it with butter onion mix. Had a nice char on the outside and pink in the middle. My wife and I think it is the best meat on this planet!
In my experience, though, I have to agree with your butcher. Older bucks of any species are not the best food grade meat.

·
Banned
497 Posts
I've only had moose twice. It was from a young bull a guy I used to know shot. I was maybe the best meat I've ever had. what's it cost to hunt them where there is a fairly good chance of success, even for taking a cow?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I've only had moose twice. It was from a young bull a guy I used to know shot. I was maybe the best meat I've ever had. what's it cost to hunt them where there is a fairly good chance of success, even for taking a cow?
Unless you get drawn in New England Cows are tough to get. In Canada and Alaska Moose hunts are for Bulls only. Same with the Rocky Mountain states

1 - 20 of 28 Posts